You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo iPad editing iPhone portrait photos

Hi All,

I have some nice iPhone 11 portrait photos in Low-Key and High-Key. Sometimes the background shines through e.g. with long silky hair. I was thinking of editing this with iPad and Apple pencil and of course Affinity Photo for iPad. When I open the file (from my Apple Photos from cloud/iPad) I cannot really edit the file. It seems to display the mask of portrait, but I cannot see the original photo and mask (which then is used by iPhone to create High and Low key effect). I was hoping to use the apple pencil to brush out some areas. I can open the same files in Procreate 4 and do some editing there. Anyone else know how to do this in Affinity Photo iPad? Did I miss something? Thanks in advance

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Callum,

Sorry for the delay, got caught up with work.... trying to attach the file which I emailed to myself from the iPad. Not sure if apple converted anything then or not. When I open the file on the iPad with Affinity Photo for iPad I see 2 layers, one is with background, and 1 layer is a mask. When editing in apple photo app, I can see the original image or go into portrait mode to simulate low-key or high-key. There are some small areas where the simulation does not always work, e.g. hair and background, so I was hoping I can edit the mask a little on the iPad with pencil and Affinity Photo. But I cannot see how to edit the mask while seeing the background and knowing which are to deal with, and I cannot see how I can kind of inverse the mask to show colour image of person subject, but decide if I want the actual background, or the simulated black (low-key) background. When I import into Procreate app on iPad I see the low-key effect image, I don't think there were multiple layers like I see in Affinity Photo, but I could then try to colour out the problem areas with brush strokes. Anyways, wondering how this is possible in Affinity Photo for iPad? Or it could be that the app cannot (at the moment) handle the apple portrait mode images? Though it is smart to see the layers of portrait mode coming through from apple format. Anyways, any ideas or thoughts welcome.

Love the Serif community - thanks in advance

test 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Has anyone tried editing iPhone portrait photos on Affinity Photo iPad? Anything I missed to do? Or are there are any workarounds? I just thought it would be nice workflow as photo already available to iPad, I have Apple Pencil and Affinity Photo iPad app would be nice for editing on Sofa :-). Anyways, thanks in advance if anyone has any tips/solutions/workarounds.