You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have found what appears to be a catastrophic bug in that it causes Publisher to crash in such a way that the application simply closes immediately with no explanation or error report etc etc.

I am using Publisher release version 1.7.3.481

Can I reproduce it - Yes

Does it happen for a new document - Yes

Operating system is Windows 10 home, version 1903 istalled 2019-07-30 OS build 18362.535

What happened: I was trying to insert an index mark by highlighting a piece of text and then using the shortcut key. This bring up the insert index mark dialogue box with the highlighted text in the topic name. If you now start to type a parent topic publisher will start to offer you existing topics within the existing menu. if you use the cursor keys to select one of the offered existing topics and then press ENTER to confirm Publisher will instantly crash out by closing the application. It will also do this if you simply type into the Parent topic box and crash out as soon as you press enter. I would expect publisher to accept the enter key as a confirmation of the selection from the offered list or the manually entered text.

A simple recreation I did to test this was:

1. Create a simple document of just a list of names.
  2. Index mark the first name (clicking with the mouse to complete the entry)
  3. Then for the second name create an index topic of relatives (clicking with the mouse to complete the entry).
  4. The third name I used the offered menu that showed the relatives topic, selected the relatives topic using cursor keys and then enter to select. Publisher once again crashed out.

I have tried a reboot in previous sessions just to check that there was nothing odd with my system and the same problem occurred immediately after the reboot using the same method above.

Other software loaded at the same time: Firefox, Outlook, Designer (affinity)

I am using a second screen but this is only a display (at time of writing) and not my home external which is also a touch screen but I do not think this would be a cause of the crash.

I have not changed anything recently and have only recently started using Publisher to build a better version of a document that I originally created in Designer.

Any Thoughts?

Adam.

indexing.png

• Staff

Thanks for the report. I've not been able to recreate this yet but I'm probably doing something very slightly different

Do you have any crash reports in your %appdata%\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports. when the app crashes ?

Hi Paul,

Thank you for looking into this. I have attached my crash reports in the attached zip folder. The most recent report in there was from me doing the most simple test I could to recreate the problem. This was also done from cold ie. shutdown and power on, no other apps started except Publisher. Just to reiterate how this test was done:

1. open new document
  2. create text box
  3. enter three names on three lines within the text box
  4. select first name
  5. insert index mark using keyboard shortcut
  6. In this first instance change nothing in the popup except click ok with mouse pointer
  7. select second name
  8. insert index mark using keyboard shortcut
  9. Under parent topic type in "Relative"
  10. Click Ok using mouse
  11. select third name
  12. Click / move into Parent Topic in popup
  13. using arrow keys, access menu for parent topics to select "Relative"
  14. Press Enter at this point to confirm selection of "Relative" from menu options

It is on this press of enter key that Publisher crashes out completely by closing the app.

I can restart the app with no problem. If I do not use the enter key to do the confirmation then I have no problem, using the mouse works fine and I can enter index marks quite happily.

Crash reports were in:

%AppData%\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\CrashReports\reports

not in the 1.0 (Beta) folder which was empty.

Cheers,

Adam.

Publisher Crash reports.zip

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem.  Windows 10  OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362

It happens when you add an index mark. I first tried it on a "live" document which has 15 pages the tried it on a 1 pager with just 4 words - add the mark as per the help file and the program closes immediately with no error messages. It's preventing me from completing the  document

This fault has progressed to the point that if I simply try to insert index mark using the shortcut keys it crashes completely with no warning, closing the application and dropping me back to the desktop. The application will restart with no problems and if I use the menu options Text > Index > Insert Mark then it will insert the mark without any problems.I have attached my latest crash reports.

Publisher Crash reports.zip