You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can you make the Startup window disappear when I just open a file

When I just open a file instead of open the app first, can you make the startup window disappear since I already decided what file I wanna work on.

Another thing is, I don't get any notice when I get reply about my question, is there any setting I should turn on?

1) Hmm… if I understand you correctly, just uncheck the box in the bottom lefthand corner where is says Show This Panel on Startup.

2) click the Follow this Topic Button top right of this Screen. You'll get an email when someone replies to this topic.

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

> I don't get any notice when I get reply about my question, is there any setting I should turn on?

Check your notification options (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications):

- is "Auto follow topics I reply to." checked?
- are all the notifications you want to get by email set to "Email?

If it's still not working: is the your email address in your profile correct?

> I don't get any notice when I get reply about my question, is there any setting I should turn on?

Check your notification options (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?app=core&module=usercp&tab=core&area=notifications):

- is "Auto follow topics I reply to." checked?

- are all the notifications you want to get by email set to "Email?

If it's still not working: is the your email address in your profile correct?

Thanks, that works.

1) Hmm… if I understand you correctly, just uncheck the box in the bottom lefthand corner where is says Show This Panel on Startup.

2) click the Follow this Topic Button top right of this Screen. You'll get an email when someone replies to this topic.

Thanks, that works as well.

However, I don't think that's the correct logic. I may wanna keep that startup window since I wanna use their example file to try some features out, but I don't really need that window when I am already have an exist file.

• 4 years later...

Thank you so much!

I wanted to know if I could turn the startup panel off, and then back on later if I wanted. Your pointer to "Help > Welcome" solved this for me. Thank you!

• I think this should be configurable in "Edit > Preferences", "General", as "Show Help - Welcome Panel on startup".
  • And the text at the bottom-left of the Welcome panel should say: "Show this Help - Welcome panel on startup" instead of "Show this panel on startup".

9 hours ago, PatrickOfLondon said:
  • I think this should be configurable in "Edit > Preferences", "General", as "Show Help - Welcome Panel on startup".
  • And the text at the bottom-left of the Welcome panel should say: "Show this Help - Welcome panel on startup" instead of "Show this panel on startup".

The Welcome window is not a help panel.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

30 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is found under Help on Windows systems. It might, of course, reside elsewhere on MacOS :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It is found under Help on Windows systems. It might, of course, reside elsewhere on MacOS :)

No, it is on the Help menu on Macs as well. But even though it is referred to as a "panel" it is actually a non-resizable window that overlays the workspace, unlike the Help > Affinity Help menu item, the Tutorial menu item that opens the Tutorials web page in the default browser, or the "Support" menu item that does the same for the forums. Users can't leave it visible & still work on anything -- it requires some user action to dismiss it. (IOW, it is a modal window.)

As for the window itself, it has its own 'home page,' the largest section of which is basically for product promotions, plus links to what could be considered help, an interface to downloadable samples, close & new document buttons, & of course the 'show on startup' checkbox.

So to me, whatever it is, it is not just a 'help panel' & any reference to it as nothing more than that would be confusing.

Edited by R C-R
added modal window reference for clarity

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

R C-R, I agree with you - I was just using the wording "Help - Welcome panel" to indicate that that's how you (currently) get to the panel (other than when starting up), by clicking on Help and then on Welcome.

But Serif / Affinity themselves have elected to place it under "Help", and they refer to it by two different terms, which is inconsistent: a panel, and a screen. On the panel itself the wording says "Show this panel on startup". But by searching Help for "welcome" and then clicking on "Create new documents", you'll find it referred to as the "Welcome screen".

So perhaps at the bottom left of the panel-or-screen, it would be more helpful to say "Show this Welcome screen (also accessible via Help > Welcome...) on startup".

And I think it would also be helpful if it were configurable in "Edit > Preferences", "General", as "Show Welcome screen (also accessible via Help > Welcome...) on startup".

9 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

And I think it would also be helpful if it were configurable in "Edit > Preferences", "General", as "Show Welcome screen (also accessible via Help > Welcome...) on startup".

Yes, the Application Preferences were the place where I have been searching and not finding it, too.

Though it does contain links to various types of Help (indeed !) I would not expect to set its visibility in the Help menu because it affects the application launch process.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Personally, I think the "Welcome..." item most logically should appear as an item in the Window menu, & all references to it should call it a window, not a panel or screen.

Affinity Photo 

12 minutes ago, R C-R said:

most logically

Most logically the name for this item does not matter at all. It even could be called a pop up menu.
(p.s.: menu Windows lists only opened windows; and you don't open the Save or Export option windows via menu Windows, too).

A more than your most logically aspect is not its name but its content + behavior: Help-Links + on Application Launch.

34 minutes ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

is really a "directory".... :)

Actually it is a website, presented by the Affinity Browser.app, which was the first working Studio Link app. 9_9

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

(p.s.: menu Windows lists only opened windows; and you don't open the Save or Export option windows via menu Windows, too).

True, but on Macs the Windows menu already has one convention-breaking item, that being the application itself, & it remains ticked & open even if you untick it.

Besides, it isn't a popup, a directory, or a website either. It is simply a modal window & behaves exactly as any modal window should, regardless of its contents.

Affinity Photo 

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Besides, it isn't a popup, a directory, or a website either. It is simply a modal window & behaves exactly as any modal window should, regardless of its contents.

It pops up.
It is a directory for its presented topics.
It is a website with dynamically changing content and URLs to other websites.

AND it is a modal window. There is no either or in that case.

Even Save and Export are modal windows, too. As many others are in the UI, too.
Hopefully you will not demand as "most logically" to move them all into the Windows menu.

It is in a sense a "pop up" but so is everything else that can appear on a screen.

It is not a directory because that is a characteristic of a file system, not an application.

It is not a website because it still can appear when there is no internet connection, although of course its functionality is limited to that of the three items along the bottom of the window (show on startup, close, & new doc).

There is only one thing that it unequivocally & unambiguously can be, & that is a modal window. So regardless of what each of us thinks is the most logical menu for it to appear on, or if it should be a preference item or not, can we all at least agree that it should be called a window, not a panel, screen, popup, directory, or anything else?

Affinity Photo 

As above, I for one would be very happy to have it called - consistently - the Welcome window. 

(I would contend that it is also a directory, as in a directory of services, and/or facilities, akin to a telephone directory or a business directory. But hey, life's too short.... a "window" is fine. :) )

On 8/21/2019 at 1:58 PM, R C-R said:

can we all at least agree that it should be called a window, not a panel, screen, popup, directory, or anything else? 

On 8/21/2019 at 2:14 PM, PatrickOfLondon said:

I for one would be very happy to have it called - consistently - the Welcome window. 

Wow!

It's a Studio! in my persona.