You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tables ... Changing the column Width

OK ... I admit that I  am struggling with the tables ... the inconsistent UI and tutorials together are not helpful ... even  with my 30+ years of IT experience!!!

Putting aside the frequent crashes (today every 15 minutes of so for the last couple of hours) ... I have a really basic question ...

In a table ... (I can see the spreadsheet like column headings) ... how do I change the width of the final column.

All columns seem to be adjustable by dragging bar the last one!!! The cursor changes shape ... but dragging has no effect.

I can change the width to the table as a whole ... but that changes the width of every column !!!) ... what am I missing?

Thanks,.

I asked for improvements in table handling once or twice. :(Adjusting the last column is a plague, because quite often it is blocked by the arrows for adding or reducing columns. Don't worry, it works if you try often enough. If you want to resize one column (not the last one) and keep the width of the other columns, hold the Shift-key while resizing.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

@GarryP Even you have problems resizing (once). ;) I am on Windows. And I have the feeling, the more you zoom in, it is getting harder to resize the last column.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Yeah, the first time I tried it didn’t do anything (I think I had inadvertently tried to add columns).
Some previous attempts – off-video – got me an extra column or more (you have to drag quite a way before you start seeing them).
Maybe if the pointer changed between the two functionalities it might make it easier to see what’s going on.

6 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Maybe if the pointer changed between the two functionalities it might make it easier to see what’s going on.

The distance between changing width and adding columns is tiny. The current placement of the option to add or remove columns was not a good decision. I favour the Table panel. I would be not too sad if Serif is going to mimick the Indesign style of handling tables. :D

------