You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What I'm trying to do with Affinity Designer is place a photograph, put a non-filled shape around a portion of the photograph, and then hit "Intersect" which I thought would result in having just the non-filled shape filled with the portion of the photograph inside the shape.  The process on other vector drawing programs is put the unfilled shape around the portion of the photo I want inside the shape, select the shape, then hold the SHIFT key down and select the photo, and then hit "Intersect."  But that doesn't seem to work with Designer. It does work with iDraw.

What am I doing wrong?

What I'm trying to accomplish is illustrated by the attached .jpg

post-14110-0-14846000-1436755052_thumb.jpg

• Staff

Hi mwolfson,

Welcome to the forums.

Place your image on the page, now insert your shape over the top in the correct position. Now on the Layers tab, click and move the image to the under the shape  a highlighted line appears to the right.

I've attached a short video that shows the process.

Hope this helps.

Image.mov

Seems a bit more of a convoluted solution as opposed to just using the Intersect command as other vector drawing programs do. Is the reason you designed it this way because the program doesn't consider photos to be objects?

The plus of this approach is that you can readjust the mask later (or add to it, etc.) because its non-destructive.  To use intersect would be a one- time destructive process.   Personally i find in Designer especially, that their masking approach is awesome (and worlds better than illustrator).  I think it basically comes down to the difference between learned (bad) habits from Adobe, and a smarter more versatile hybrid approach of Designer.