You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apple Photos interactions with Affinity Photo Customer Beta 1.8.0 (split)

Affinity Photo - Apple Photo problems not addressed in this release or did I miss something?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

On 1/7/2020 at 12:50 PM, MEB said:

If it's not listed above, it's unlikely the fix is implemented in this build unless it's an oversight.

.... but it works perfectly (*) with Mojave :D thanks a lot to Dev Team !!!

(*) edit: only with JPEG, not with RAW files 

56 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi jeffnles1,
If it's not listed above, it's unlikely the fix is implemented in this build unless it's an oversight.

Guess Santa skip this major gift.  Hope we don’t have to wait another six to eight months to use Affinity Photo with Apple Photos.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

• Staff
1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Affinity Photo - Apple Photo problems not addressed in this release or did I miss something?

What have you tried ? Are you round-tripping in the Affinity Photo Beta? Have you turned the Affinity Photo Beta options ON in Extensions? If so, have you then tried with the release build "Affinity Photo" turned off in extensions?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

38 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

What have you tried ? Are you round-tripping in the Affinity Photo Beta? Have you turned the Affinity Photo Beta options ON in Extensions? If so, have you then tried with the release build "Affinity Photo" turned off in extensions?

As it was not specifically addressed in the release notes, I did not download the beta.  What was addressed is not a major concern for me; however, I realize it is for many.

Cecil 

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

About that, considering what @Andy Somerfield said about things that "will be broken in this build" & not using it for critical work, what if any risks might there be that we should be aware of when using the beta extension for round-tripping with Apple Photos?

What I am wondering about is unlike any 'in app' bugs in the betas, it seems conceivable that a bug in the beta Photos extension could send a corrupted file back to Apple Photos that in turn could interfere with how Apple Photos manages edited photos in its "Photos Library.photoslibrary" database.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Cecil said:

As it was not specifically addressed in the release notes, I did not download the beta.  What was addressed is not a major concern for me; however, I realize it is for many.

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Guess Santa skip this major gift.  Hope we don’t have to wait another six to eight months to use Affinity Photo with Apple Photos.

If you go to Apple System Preferences > All and uncheck the 'Affinity Photo' (retail) options, keeping the beta options enabled, I can successfully roundtrip. 

@R C-R - I haven't ran into any issues for the past hour but maybe work on test raw files or images you don't care too much about. At the end of the day, you're still playing with a beta so just be careful! 

1 hour ago, R C-R said:About that, considering what @Andy Somerfield said about things that "will be broken in this build" & not using it for critical work, what if any risks might there be that we should be aware of when using the beta extension for round-tripping with Apple Photos?

What I am wondering about is unlike any 'in app' bugs in the betas, it seems conceivable that a bug in the beta Photos extension could send a corrupted file back to Apple Photos that in turn could interfere with how Apple Photos manages edited photos in its "Photos Library.photoslibrary" database.

Thank you for posting a justifiable concern I have with downloading the beta.  Time will tell if  the round-tripping with Apple Photos was indeed fixed. I was expecting, my fault, the beta release notes to highlight a fix.  I read with interest to see if a hint of a fix was ready for testing. I depend solely on Apple’s iCloud and Time Machine to manage my photos. 

Cecil 

4 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I depend solely on Apple’s iCloud and Time Machine to manage my photos. 

No guarantees of course, but I think if you make sure you always have a Time Machine backup of your "Apple Photos Photos Library.photoslibrary" Photos Library (usually in the Users/<your user name>/Pictures folder) made before you test round-tripping I think you should be safe -- if anything weird happens, you can just restore the Photos Library from a TM backup made prior to that.

Also, from what I can tell this round-trip issue has only affected Catalina users (the Mojave one seems to have other causes not directly related to AP), so it would be useful to know if @Chris B and/or other QA staff are testing with Catalina or not.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, R C-R said:

No guarantees of course, but I think if you make sure you always have a Time Machine backup of your "Apple Photos Photos Library.photoslibrary" Photos Library (usually in the Users/<your user name>/Pictures folder) made before you test round-tripping I think you should be safe -- if anything weird happens, you can just restore the Photos Library from a TM backup made prior to that.

Also, from what I can tell this round-trip issue has only affected Catalina users (the Mojave one seems to have other causes not directly related to AP), so it would be useful to know if @Chris B and/or other QA staff are testing with Catalina or not.

Thank you, I will wait until they officially release 1.8.  My current workflow, open Apple Photos, edit in, make desired changes and export to external SSD that backup on Time Machine.  I have original photo on Apple’s Photos and changes stored in external SSD folders.  A simple process to add to Apple Photos/iCloud, from SSD.

Cecil 

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi jeffnles1,

Well, that's disappointing especially since for the past several months "1.8 will fix it" has been the mantra.  Hopefully it was just an oversight. 

• Staff
35 minutes ago, jeffnles1 said:

Well, that's disappointing especially since for the past several months "1.8 will fix it" has been the mantra.  Hopefully it was just an oversight. 

The potential fix for this is included in this beta build, However, we are still investigating some unexpected results in that it does not yet work 100% of the time and so it is not listed as "fixed"

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The potential fix for this is included in this beta build, However, we are still investigating some unexpected results in that it does not yet work 100% of the time and so it is not listed as "fixed"

Do we have any eta for the official 1.8 release that will finally fix the (horrendous) bug AP has had since May 2018 that won't let AP save edits directly back to Photos? (Maybe an eta approximation based on how long it has taken official AP versions to be released after the first beta was released?)

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

cool thanks

1 hour ago, henryb said:

Do we have any eta for the official 1.8 release that will finally fix the (horrendous) bug AP has had since May 2018 that won't let AP save edits directly back to Photos? (Maybe an eta approximation based on how long it has taken official AP versions to be released after the first beta was released?)

Have you tried Pixelmator Pro? I feel like they got Apple Photos integration down. It even has layers support right from within Apple Photos! Why can't other DAMs have that feature? Capture One's layers are basically just adjustment layers, which is great, but it would be nice to have object layers as well. I assume there are Affinity features you need or want but thought you might not know about how good Pixelmator Pro works recently.

14 hours ago, jeffnles1 said:

Please, let us be greatful for the work Serif Dev team are doing. Yes, all of our desired features may not be in at the moment but with time, I am sure they will get there.  Photoshop has 20+ years of lead and it's still buggy and laggy.

• Staff
12 hours ago, henryb said:

Do we have any eta for the official 1.8 release that will finally fix the (horrendous) bug AP has had since May 2018 that won't let AP save edits directly back to Photos?

No, except to say based on earlier cycles it will be months not weeks. Regarding this Apple have not documented any specific change in Catalina in this area and so we are trying a number of avenues to fix this, but Apple changed something in the O/S and we have to work-out/guess what. The beta seems to work well in certain circumstances but we think there is yet more to find before this is 100% fixed. If Apple told us what they changed, that would help....

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

20 hours ago, henryb said:

Hey Henry - 

18 hours ago, KipV said:

Have you tried Pixelmator Pro? I feel like they got Apple Photos integration down. It even has layers support right from within Apple Photos! Why can't other DAMs have that feature? Capture One's layers are basically just adjustment layers, which is great, but it would be nice to have object layers as well. I assume there are Affinity features you need or want but thought you might not know about how good Pixelmator Pro works recently.

maybe you should give KipV’s suggestion a try.I’ll bet they would benefit from your constructive criticism, too. 

45 minutes ago, SteveB523 said:

maybe you should give KipV’s suggestion a try.I’ll bet they would benefit from your constructive criticism, too. 

Also maybe Serif should focus their attention on building their own DAM instead of working with Apple Photos. Maybe their time is better spent there. I would still like for my photos to automatically get pushed to that DAM's library though like it does with Apple Photos.

54 minutes ago, KipV said:

Also maybe Serif should focus their attention on building their own DAM instead of working with Apple Photos. Maybe their time is better spent there. I would still like for my photos to automatically get pushed to that DAM's library though like it does with Apple Photos. 

While I wouldn't mind them making a DAM software, I'd rather see some really meaty content patches for Photo, Designer, and Publisher before they make a new program again. I already have a long list of features and bug fixes I would like to see in Photo especially that would make me never consider picking up Photoshop again.

There are a lot of features in Affinity that I could see become even better than they already are by developing them further. I.e. the Export Persona actually previewing your rendered images before actually exporting them so you could easier experiment with the settings as well as compare different settings next to each other. The layers system I could see taking some pointers from Photoshop like smart objects, alpha lock per layer instead of just having alpha locking on your brush, and a duplicate by dragging shortcut which is alt+L click in Photoshop, just to name a few.

With the trifecta completed, Serif is in a good position to outcompete Adobe's flagship softwares Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign. Any update made to either program will make the other two better as well thanks to the shared file format and StudioLink. A new DAM program with those two features would be sweet as well, but there are some solid options besides Lightroom on the market, so I don't think there is a big hurry to get another DAM out on the market.

4 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

While I wouldn't mind them making a DAM software, I'd rather see some really meaty content patches for Photo, Designer, and Publisher before they make a new program again.

I would also like to see them put all their time into the three apps they have now. I was mainly trying to say if they haven't made progress with Apple Photos I don't think they should be putting more time into it. Their own DAM was brought up just as a possible solution since part of that program would have similar features to the Apple Photos extension. In other words it is a different way to tackle the same solution they have had with Apple Photos except it would work.

29 minutes ago, KipV said:

I was mainly trying to say if they haven't made progress with Apple Photos I don't think they should be putting more time into it.

But as @Patrick Connor here on page one of this topic, they have made progress in this very beta with the Apple Photos to AP to Apple Photos round trip issue. It is just that the fix does not yet work 100% of the time.

Besides, as I understand it the AP extensions that can be used without ever leaving Apple Photos still work just fine with all macOS versions, so it is not as if everything has quit working.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.