You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Beta 523 - Cannot export 4-page CMYK doc as PDF-X4

Not sure what the problem is with this file, but it errors out when trying to export it as a PDF-X4 (or even X3). Had a sister file (nearly identical) that worked fine, but this one refuses to export in either 1.7.3 or 1.8 beta 523. Original file had virtually all linked files, but I also tried with embedding the files. I've uploaded the file via the link provided yesterday for my other issue. It's labeled as pdf-X4.

A note: I also notice that with this particular file, it never does calculate the estimated output file size. Don't see that with the sister file or any others I've done.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 12.01.42 PM.png

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

I would start by simplifying the output file name, and the output directory structure, and see if that makes a difference.

Another possibility is that you have a font with errors. To test that, in the More... part of the Export dialog, try specifying "Text as Curves" for the Embed Fonts option:

image.png.3f78964645c4df4e73df24ecba6faeeb.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt, but not the problem here. Have the same file in the same place with same fonts, similar file name (but different copy, pics, etc.) that outputs just fine. It's something within the doc, likely one of the images/pics, thus would be interesting to see what Jon and team can find that is happening.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• Staff

This file exports for me to PDF X-4, have you modified any of the other export options? Might be worth taking a screenshot of the "More.." dialog and I can see if I can reproduce it.

I did notice a dodgy graphic which I mentioned in the other thread, which (on Windows)  was crashing the app when being made linked, but it doesn't effect Mac so not sure if that's the cause.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff

Carrying on from the above, was this file created from an IDML import? The file that crashes when linked is invalid and I want to suss where it came from - I don't see it in the IDML files. Was the file "Gurney Logo Footer - Literature.png" part of the original import or did you add it afterwards? It is apparently a CMYK png, which isn't valid...

Here's the More dialog settings (attached). Only changed a couple things in this screenshot, but even if I try to export with the default X4 settings, I get the error and no output.

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

Carrying on from the above, was this file created from an IDML import? The file that crashes when linked is invalid and I want to suss where it came from - I don't see it in the IDML files. Was the file "Gurney Logo Footer - Literature.png" part of the original import or did you add it afterwards? It is apparently a CMYK png, which isn't valid...

No, this was created in 1.7.3. Possibly may have used a Open PDF as a starting point. It will not export in either 1.7 or 1.8 beta. And yet another virtually identical version of the doc (a fresh water version) exports fine, which seems to suggest that there is an offending image in this one that was not in the other. But I have no way of knowing since the Preflight doesn't show anything wrong and the error message doesn't say anything relevant. 

I'll upload that graphic element. It might have been added to both versions of this pub from the Assets panel within 1.7.3, but I'll use that other link to send the original to you. But as I said, it is the same graphic in both versions and I can export the fresh water version just fine. 

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 11.02.56 AM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• Staff

It might be worth seeing the version that exports so we can diff them and see what's different. Can you also upload the ITC Garamond and Futura Condensed fonts that are used.

Thanks for the png, it is a RGB png but the app seems to think it's a CMYK png (which isn't possible, png doesn't support CMYK). So i'll try adding it to assets but any extra info on how this png was added would be useful to try and suss out how this happened.

Just uploaded to that same link the Fresh Water version where I changed everything to embedded. I also just tried the X4 export on this file and it worked.

On the png graphic, I am thinking that I did have it in Assets when I was testing that feature out, so may have grabbed it from there for placement within these 2 docs. Both these docs were created in 1.7.x, but have opened and saved versions within beta 1.8 in order to see if that might resolve the issue.. I also seem to remember creating that png composite graphic within APhoto for use in various publications. I think I also remember having had an issue with it at one time in one of the APub betas, but that got resolved. I think I also uploaded the original APhoto file, right?

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

• 5 weeks later...

With beta 549, this file still does not export as a pdf x4, nor does it calculate est size, same as before. 

In playing with this in the newest beta, I also made a thread on how it shows a missing (tekton), but the Font Manager doesn't show that font nor does the preflight error click take you to anything.

Another oddity is that in running a preflight for Hidden Objects, it shows the top header graphic element as Hidden, but it clearly is not. In fact it shows the error twice, taking you to the same item with each error. If I remember right, this is an item put into the original doc in 1.7.3 from the Assets panel. The Resource manager shows it as a Linked resource, but when I use the Resource Manager's new Show in Finder, it does take me to the original PS file. 

So, in all, can't export as an x4, showing a missing font that supposedly isn't in the doc, and it shows a resource item as Hidden (twice) when it is not Hidden.

You already have this file (Clean Water 2019 - WW -4pg) as well as the matching doc that hasn't had a problem exporting.

Screen_Shot_2020-02-09_at_3_11.30_PM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Aha! The preset for Preflight had the Hidden Objects pref set to Look Inside Placed Documents checked. I'm guessing it somehow was trying to look within the linked Photoshop file and saying that something in that file was Hidden. I looked at the PS file and there are a couple layers/items hidden. Thus I guess the answer is to not use that checkbox when Preflighting for hidden objects!

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Tracked down both issues (missing font and X4 export). The doc had a linked pdf graphic element (a site plan) that had that missing font within that pdf. That not only caused the mysterious Missing Font warning (but Preflight could not show it was in that item), but also caused the failure of the X4 export. I'm guessing because of the missing font. 

Seems this could be an issue. I'm sure many people get pdf graphics sent to them where the fonts used might not be 100% matching to theirs. If including them within an APub doc causes this much grief (can't easily find the problems), might it not be better to handle the export error better? Or at least with Preflight have the ability locate the item/resource with the missing font? Both the Affinity team and I have been scratching our heads as to why this doc created in APub would not export. Preflight ALMOST found the problem, but maybe needs a little better capability to actually track down the problem item -- if that's at all possible.

My workaround for that doc has been to open that pdf in Designer (which converted the missing font to curves, I'm assuming), then exporting it back out as an eps for inclusion in the APub doc. Perhaps it might be better to just link to the now converted Designer file??? That's assuming liniked Designer files are not presenting any issues within an APub doc.

At least this mystery has be solved, assuming Preflight can be improved to find this type of error. We routinely use placed pdf graphics in our page layout docs, so it would be nice to catch this problem before it becomes a time-consuming output error. Never had this problem in ID, which I understand is an issue with pdfs with missing fonts opening or being used in Affinity apps. 

Screen_Shot_2020-02-09_at_3_36.06_PM.png

--------------------

iPad Air 2022

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.