You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi folks,

This is my first day experimenting with a trial version of Affinity Photo on my Mac. I am thinking of switching over from an old version of Photoshop CS5.

I do a lot of property photography and regularly need to straighten up the verticals on photos of room interiors.

I have been trying with Affinity Photo to use the Perspective Filter, set on Single Plane and Destination Mode. I adjust the grid, click Apply and.....nothing happens to the image.

Forgive me if I am being totally dense here but what am I doing wrong? I've watched a load of videos and read all sorts of posts but still can't work it out. Hence I am coming to you guys for help please.

Thanks,

Richard

How did you load your image into APh, via "Open" or "Place image...", since that makes a difference how image layers are treated then. Further if they are possibly locked or not selected in the layers panel. The difference for layers will be shown in the layers panel as "(pixel)" versus "(image)". Pixel layers when selected allow basically all kind of modifications, in contrast here image layers would have to be expanded first or converted (rasterized) into pixel layers. - Thus it depends on certain factors here.

When in doubt show a screenshot of your whole APhoto GUI here (including the shown layers panel), usually the community people here then can hopefully indentify from the screenshot the possible problem and behavior.

You may also want to take a look at the online tutorials dealing with certain theme/topics and the online help files ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

58 minutes ago, Richard M said:

regularly need to straighten up the verticals on photos

Are you selecting the layer with the image on it? Go to the View > Studio > Layers to see your layers.

You can only use it on a pixel layer not an imported jpg or some such other image type. Here is a placed jpg and then the rasterized jpg as a pixel layer. You can see the first is an Image Layer and the one on top is Pixel Layer.

1186371322_ScreenShot2020-01-08at10_26_47AM.png.86fc22d5dbc1eabb5c7d3ce955bafb1c.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Just click on the topmost layer in the layers panel so it is highlighted and then click on the perspective tool. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 hours ago, Lagarto said:

if you are using the Perspective Tool (from the toolbar) rather than Perspective Live Filter (as shown above) which is applied on a layer, which can also be an image layer, you should get a dialog box with options: do not click Apply until you have finished modifying the perspective. The dialog box "Apply" is equivalent to accepting the changes in Photoshop, where the box appears only after you hit Enter or change the tool, etc.

I do get the dialog box but when I click Apply, the image does not change

9 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

But did you first use the tool to create the perspective, and click Apply only after that? 

Note too that the image posted by @Fixx shows a Perspective Live Filter, and this is not applied by using the Perspective Tool, but instead from the Layers panel, clicking the Live Filters (an hour glass button on the right of the Fx button), and choosing Perspective... The latter is non-destructive adjustment, that can be applied also on an image layer, while if you use Perspective Tool, an image layer will be automatically rasterized to pixel layer so that it can be used.

Yes of course, I made the adjustments using the tool and then clicked Apply....nothing happens.

Thanks for clarifying re the Live Filter.....to be clear, I am not using that tool but Filters>Distort>Perspective

• Staff

Hi Richard M, 

I think we really need to see a screen recording of what's happening.  I've tried using the Filter>Distort>Perspective and didn't have any issues.  To record your screen on Mac, just see here

If you can then attach the recording we should be able to spot why its not working :) 

• Staff

Hi Richard, 

Thanks for the screen recording.

Unless i'm missing something, that worked.  It's changed the Perspective of the 1st layer.  If you want to alter the 2nd layer as well, you'd need to repeat the process on the 2nd layer.  Also the screen recording didn't show any white in the bottom corners.

• 2 months later...

I too like many of the things in Affinity, but I have to go to Photoshop to do perspective cropping. Affinity just doesn't cut it.

I tried haakoo's demonstration in another post on a photo piece I have. I could select the SOURCE. Same as in Photoshop's Perspective Crop . ... in Photoshop I hit CROP and it's done.

In Affinity, I have to switch to DESTINATION. BUT if I drag to the corners of the original photo as haakoo demonstrates the dimensions of the crop are way out of whack. If I just try to move the corners so everything is squared I can't tell if it is actually squared. The corners aren't clear to being square AND it requires 7 more ADDITIONAL steps to finish ....
   Move corner 1 + move corner 2 (is it square?) + move corner 3 (is it square) + move corner 4 (is it square?) + APPLY + Select CROP + adjust CROP to remove the areas not wanted + CROP .... and I'm still not sure that the final image is actually SQUARED off with 90 degree corners.

PLEASE create a Perspective Crop tool !!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 years later...
On 3/24/2020 at 10:36 PM, AOI Admin said:

I too like many of the things in Affinity, but I have to go to Photoshop to do perspective cropping. Affinity just doesn't cut it.

I tried haakoo's demonstration in another post on a photo piece I have. I could select the SOURCE. Same as in Photoshop's Perspective Crop . ... in Photoshop I hit CROP and it's done.

In Affinity, I have to switch to DESTINATION. BUT if I drag to the corners of the original photo as haakoo demonstrates the dimensions of the crop are way out of whack. If I just try to move the corners so everything is squared I can't tell if it is actually squared. The corners aren't clear to being square AND it requires 7 more ADDITIONAL steps to finish ....
   Move corner 1 + move corner 2 (is it square?) + move corner 3 (is it square) + move corner 4 (is it square?) + APPLY + Select CROP + adjust CROP to remove the areas not wanted + CROP .... and I'm still not sure that the final image is actually SQUARED off with 90 degree corners.

PLEASE create a Perspective Crop tool !!!!!!!!!!!

Agree. In photoshop it just takes one click to align it after a selection. In Affinity (by looking at 4 yt tutorials), you need to do it manually by guessing and approximating and then it's not in 1:1 ratio. And then I need to use PS to do the job properly.

EDIT:

Apparently there is another tool in Layer > Live Projection > Perspective Projection that does what PS does.

(From this tutorial)