You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find image in Finder, opening progress bar, IDML, etc...

OK. Maybe I'm not seeing it.

Setting up a Publisher file for a portfolio and it contains a lot of images. jpgs, AI, PSD, AFDedsign etc. you get the picture.

FIRST: If I need to get back into the images to make edits - Where is the "locate image in finder" link in the document for images like imported PSD and AI files? They don't open when double clicked on. I may have reasons not to convert them to AF files and I should not have to -  The Resource Manager isn't any help. Don't make me use the Search in the Finder please.

SECOND: In most Mac apps if not all I can click on the file name in the (title bar) and it will at least tell me where the file I'm working on is. None of the AF apps do that. Help a guy out here and girls too.

THIRD: Opening large files (all apps) ...... I have some really large files. Some can be over a Gig. There is NO progress bar showing me how much time to wait. Sometimes I don't know if the App has crashed or if it's still opening the file. My laptop isn't a dog but it isn't the newest either so I can be waiting several seconds to a minute(s).

FOURTHI thought the beta of Publisher would open IDML files?? I'm seriously thinking of buying Quark because it will. The drawback there ---> I can't import native AF files..... UGH. It's like living in the dark ages.

FIFTHSaving changes (all apps). Can you make it so the app remembers the folder I opened the file in? Instead of making me search all through drives and folders to get back into the work folder or where ever the file opened from? That's a bit of a time burner.

Thank you! :)

On 1/8/2020 at 7:06 AM, George3 said:

SECOND: In most Mac apps if not all I can click on the file name in the Menu and it will at least tell me where the file I'm working on is. None of the AF apps do that. Help a guy out here and girls too.

When you say Menu do you mean the window title bar? That is what I have taken you to mean. See the screen shot:

839403037_ScreenShot2020-01-09at7_54_37AM.png.3b9b79c58d78c177574407a4ade77607.png

This is a feature of the Mac OS that I really miss in the Affinity applications.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, DWright said:

We currently have these in Publisher apart from point four which we have may available in the 1.8 beta version of Affinity Publisher

Really? – Could you please give instructions how to achieve "FIRST: ...locate in finder" for a linked resource?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

13 hours ago, thomaso said:

Really? – Could you please give instructions how to achieve "FIRST: ...locate in finder" for a linked resource?

I haven't been able to find a method or command. The closest thing is the Resource Manager which only gives us the file path, there is no useful "locate in finder" functionality.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

21 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I haven't been able to find a method or command. The closest thing is the Resource Manager which only gives us the file path, there is no useful "locate in finder" functionality.

If you double click the path to highlight it and right click there is an option to reveal in finder

14 minutes ago, Murfee said:

If you double click the path to highlight it and right click there is an option to reveal in finder

Have to Triple Click and then right click and then navigate to the Services and then select reveal in finder.

Best would be a Reveal in Finder button located underneath the path. 

Just now, Old Bruce said:

Have to Triple Click and then right click and then navigate to the Services and then select reveal in finder.

Best would be a Reveal in Finder button located underneath the path. 

I am on Sierra and for me the right click shows reveal in finder...no services option :/

Or just make the file path clickable to take you directly to it :)

5 minutes ago, Murfee said:

I am on Sierra and for me the right click shows reveal in finder...no services option :/

Or just make the file path clickable to take you directly to it :)

From my Sierra machine 

1891291715_ScreenShot2020-01-10at7_56_21AM.png.4f5d0d7bff53f0bf15a8195afaed2fd4.png

May be a difference in machine model (MacBook Pro13 inch) or arcane OS system settings... I just want a button.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

I don't need to triple-click. Just a right- or ctrl-click with mouse over path text opens the context menu. (Then: > Services > Reveal ...)

1 hour ago, Murfee said:

I am on Sierra and for me the right click shows reveal in finder...no services option

To me it looks similar to Old Bruce's screenshot. Can you show yours, Murfee?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

11 minutes ago, thomaso said:

I don't need to triple-click. Just a right- or ctrl-click with mouse over path text opens the context menu. (Then: > Services > Reveal ...)

To me it looks similar to Old Bruce's screenshot. Can you show yours, Murfee?

Sure, it's probably something in the Mac settings, I use a MBP with touchbar still on Sierra

Right Click Menu.png

Thanks all for the "Show in Finder" tips. That is way too hidden. But good to know. An obvious button would be very nice.

Other Points: 

3. Opening progress bar (showing that a file is opening) - it's not showing up for me.

4. idml - Didn't work from the Finder (an Option-click - didn't automatically show Publisher as an app option so I thought it wasn't working) but I did discover it works with the Open option from the App (Publisher) File menu. That is still Awesome. --- I was able to add it to the Option-Click. 

How difficult/possible in the future would an export to idml be? I would love to be able to send files back to the person that is running InDesign - if I need to. Also, I just learned that InDesign is now able to do multiple pages sizes in a document. Not sure how that will change things up.

5. Save File - When I open a file and do a save as - the dialog box still goes to the Most Recent folder and not the folder I opened the file from. Is there a pref I can change?

Thanks again.

21 hours ago, George3 said:

InDesign is now able to do multiple pages sizes in a document

InDesign has been able to do that for some time now, as can Scribus.

QuarkXPress allows you to have multiple layouts defined within a single document (which QXP calls a Project), and each can have a different page size, but all of the pages within any one layout are the same size.