You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Convert to shape (ellipse) or how to put a circle in the middle of a line ?

Hello guys,

I'm currently testing out the Affinity suite and I have to say, I'm fairly impressed so far. 
I'm really considering making the jump and say goodbye to Adobe. 

However, there are still some functionalities I use daily that are still missing. 
From what I've seen, the selection feature to include "Select > same > ..." is something people really want too. I really hope this will arrive soon.

Anyway, I wanted to ask you guy if you knew how I coud do to put an ellipse at the center of a line ?
I have multiple separate lines and need to put a small circle in the middle of each.

On Illustrator, I'd just select a line, "select > same appearance" to select all the lines and "Convert to shape > ellipse".

These 2 features don't seem to be available on Affinity.

Any ideas how to do that ?

Annotation 2020-01-08 153045.png

The tedious way is to use the alignment pane* or the Layer > Alignment > Align Centre  followed by Layer > Alignment > Align Middle. You can set up some keyboard shortcuts for those.

523800790_ScreenShot2020-01-08at6_59_28AM.png.ac114c2a9d18d98f8e57abb08e5d6c94.png

There has to be an easier method though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, DT WORKSHOP said:

... but I'm looking for an automated way to do it, as I have hundreds if not thousands of circles to place..

No it can't do that automagically! - It can only show you where the middle point then is (see here), but won't offer to place circles for you there.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2020 at 11:14 AM, DT WORKSHOP said:

Yeah this works but I'm looking for an automated way to do it, as I have hundreds if not thousands of circles to place..

It can be done… albeit, with a bit of a hack.
Certainly this is not the type of thing that’s helpful if you’re trying to vet the program's abilities.
But for everyone else. 
(needs a beta from 7.0.2 (I think) or up….. i.e. with arrow heads)

edit: the first thing is a duplication of all the lines. (It wasn't so apparent in the vid so just thought I'd mention it. Everything else, I hope, is identifiable in the vid.)

Thanks guys. 
@Jimmy - this is actually a very clever way to do it.
Unfortunately, AD still misses the "select same" feature that would allow me to select all my lines (as there are other stuff going on the artboard). 
Guess I'll still use Ai, hoping Affinity will release new features in futur updates.