You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity CMYK gives me the wrong colors

Hello People,

I might overlook something. But I really can't see what I am doing wrong.

Unbenannt.jpg.4bbeeba4d755bfed1de35bc45a1b8cce.jpg

On the top left, you can see what Color i would like to work with. I was choosing the color in RGB. Because i wanna use this color also for something to print, i wanted to make my color for CMYK. I used for that multiple online RGB to CMYK converters to be sure it's the right one. On the left of the picture, you can see a screenshot from one converter. (The Document was set to CMYK).

And now my problem. On the right is what color Affinity gives me when i use the CMYK color code. I also tried the CMYK colors in other programs, they all gave me the correct color which i want on the left. But not Affinity.

Is there something I'm overlooking?

Thanks in advance

• Staff

Hi Vendara,

Welcome to the forums :)

14 hours ago, vendara said:

And now my problem. On the right is what color Affinity gives me when i use the CMYK color code. 

Could you please confirm for me:

• What Colour Format is your document?
  • What Colour Profile is your document using?
  • Have you changed any of the Colour profile settings within Affinity?
  • Do you have a custom ICC profile set against your monitor, through your OS?

Thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hello Dan, thank you for the fast answer :]

I didn't change anything about the colors first, so everything was default.

The Color Format is set to CMYK. Because of trying out and searching for Color Profiles, I ended up with "Uncoated FOGRA29". I did not change any Color Profile Settings in Affinity. And also no changes to the OS itself.

Kind regards

This will never ever work. You simply can’t „convert“ RGB to CMYK and expect to obtain certain color values. The reason is described my first answer here:

Having said that, you’ll see that „converting" RGB to CMYK and vice versa will give you different values depending on the color profile you choose. This is the case, because CMYK respects many items you are not aware of: Color, paper weight and quality, printing speed, and, and, and.…

What goofy „tool" did you use in your first screenshot?

• 1 year later...

Matching cmyk color across documents: How do I match the lighter green at the top of the first image to the solid green in the second using CMYK slider codes? As you can see, using 89-0-89-32 in both documents gives me different results. Eyedropper doesn't work between docs.

The only way to match these colors visually on my screen is by changing the sliders. I worry that they will not print the same.

Affinity Designer is set to “generic CMYK profile" in both files as well as full opacity. They will be printed on translucent vinyl.

I’m used to the consistency of RGB hex codes. What’s up with this?

All help will be appreciated. 

First image.png

Second image.png

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

On macOS, the Color Picker always copies color values also when copying across different apps and anywhere from within the screen, while on Windows the display color is copied and converted into the destination document color space, which is probably what is most often wanted:

:S Should it be reported as a bug?

Thank you all for your help. I'm using Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina), Designer 1.9.3

I'm not sure what to do if the screenshots/screen colors are faulty (!) 

If this is an AD bug, I assume others would have reported it.

I'm happy to learn about using the Mac OS Digital Color Meter - hopefully not for every file. 

I exported a palette based on the flower image, which has the correct warm green on top of the gradient. However it does not contain this green, therefore I was unable to use it when imported into the other image. 

So: no color picker, no color code, no matching green on the palette. I can visually match the warm greens, but am not sure if they will print the same. Thoughts?

I appreciate your interest and help! Meanwhile, here are the requested screen shots. 

Bottom palette.png

Top Palette.png

21 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

You're welcome.

You also actually found a bug in the macOS version. That gradient selector shows wrong color values. The Color panel shows the correct values.

a) macOS versions (all apps):

gradient_macos.jpg.5662a9ba086d96d37c533b7bc73493cf.jpg

b) Windows versions:

gradient_windows.jpg.ba3f1651ac5178a33dc1f0198d3c8913.jpg

This video shows how you should be able to use the Color Picker tool to copy color values across documents. It is not absolutely accurate especially when needing to copy a value from a gradient, but works ok when both the source and the destination have the same color space. The video also demonstrates the error in the Gradient color definition box.

copycolor.mov 27.77 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you for this and previous videos. To whom shall I report the bug? 

27 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

That gradient selector shows wrong color values. The Color panel shows the correct values.

Ah, glad you posted that, I was confused as to how the same colour values on the same profiles could appear different!

4 minutes ago, SS Gilbert said:

To whom shall I report the bug?

There's a bug section on these forums.