You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This is not working for me, Refund

• Staff

Hello charlesmartorelli,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I'm sorry to know you're having issues with the application.

All refunds are managed trough the Mac App Store. You will have to contact them directly or wait for the e-mail receipt and click on the link there to report a problem.

Can i ask you what's not working? If you could give us some more details we may be able to help solve the issue. 

I sympathise with the questioner. I'm no pro, but I've some experience using Photoshop, Aperture and Pixelmator; I have struggled to do anything with Affinity Photo other than crop images. It seems that hours of watching training videos is necessary.

I suggest to the questioner to make sure that the Layers panel is open, and make sure that the pixel layer is selected before trying anything. Otherwise, nothing will happen. But this is not a recommended way of working. The next thing is to figure out how to use adjustment layers (definitely not there yet).

• Staff

Hi lcpaulson,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Photo is a new software to develop/edit photos. We are not necessarily doing things the same way as other software but developing it according to our own vision/goals. As you said there's already several programs working the same way geared toward different markets. There's no need to add yet another one to the list. What's the point?

Some features and workflows you will find here are unique to Affinity. It will take some time to learn them - like any new software - but we believe it will worth the effort.

There's some learning resources available to help you get started, with more being created/coming later:

- a complete set of video tutorials are available here, with more coming soon.

- you can check our e-zine Affinity Review (number #2) for some more written and video tutorials

- the Help file also covers Affinity Photo's features extensively.

Hope this helps.

The videos MEB mentioned are well worth watching.  I bought Affinity Photo MAS after working my way through multiple beta releases.  A day or so ago I spent a couple of hours watching all the videos and I learned something new in almost every one.  A tip here, a trick there, a way of working that I was not used to but was quicker/easier.  They're very good videos and they'll get you up to speed quickly.

I'm finding this software difficult to access too having come from PS. My biggest disappointment is the RAW file import. Files seem very poor quality and nowhere near what i can get in PS. Any advice would be welcome. The files I am using are from an Olympus E-M1 which i know to be of very high quality. 

I am sorry that people are struggling. as mentioned elsewhere, you really need to watch the tutorials to get started, you have to put a little effort in but it is worth it .

The other thing, people asking for a refund is a right but remember this software is a bargain, I had upgraded with PS CS for years but I am not prepared to start renting what has always been an expensive software suite.

With the obvious enthusiasm of the developers, the integration with Designer and Publisher about to be released, i am sure it will get even better. 

I've come over also from Photoshop and at first really felt like I was bumbling around, but it does take some effort to learm anything new ( I think back to how long it took me to learn my way around Photoshop!).

One thing I have found with Affinity Photo is that the help section is very good, for me it has been much easier to find the answer I am looking for here than it ever was in Photoshop help.

Everyone is different but, considering the real bargain price, and the fact that you don't have to sign up for the relentless, continuing (and may be increased at any time) drain of a subscription, I find it is definately worth putting in the effort to learn to use this.

I followed the tutorials exactly , especially the masking ones , no matter what settings I use all my cutouts from various images with very clean backgrounds looked horrible.

Maybe there is an issue with my older iMac or it's just something else I am doing wrong , but couldn't get it to work and spent many hours trying different combinations of settings, ended up going into Photoshop and doing the images .

We are not necessarily doing things the same way as other software but developing it according to our own vision/goals. As you said there's already several programs working the same way geared toward different markets. There's no need to add yet another one to the list. What's the point?

Some features and workflows you will find here are unique to Affinity. It will take some time to learn them - like any new software - but we believe it will worth the effort.

;)

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/mystrawberrymonkey/

Twitter: @StrawberryMnky  @imAllanThompson

Web: mystrawberrymonkey.com  Portfolio: behance.net/allanthompson

YouTube: Affinity Designer & Photo Tutorials

it does take some effort to learm anything new ( I think back to how long it took me to learn my way around Photoshop!).

One thing I have found with Affinity Photo is that the help section is very good, for me it has been much easier to find the answer I am looking for here than it ever was in Photoshop help.

I agree after a few tuts on here I was flying around Affinity, and found it made more sense than PS.

About me: Trainer at Apple, Freelance Video Editor, Motion Graphics Artist, Website Designer, Photographer. Yes I like creating things!!!

I followed the tutorials exactly , especially the masking ones , no matter what settings I use all my cutouts from various images with very clean backgrounds looked horrible.

Maybe there is an issue with my older iMac or it's just something else I am doing wrong , but couldn't get it to work and spent many hours trying different combinations of settings, ended up going into Photoshop and doing the images .

Hi Macca, is it possible to upload the image for others to see? I use masking all the time to cut out images and i'm getting great results as you will see from the images below.

Allan

post-9020-0-08125500-1437810333_thumb.jpg

post-9020-0-85315500-1437810349_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hello flora,

Welcome to Affinity Forums  :)

I'm sorry to know you're having issues with the application.

Have you tried to reinstall the application again? Sometimes the download or the installation may fail. To do it drag Affinity Photo from the Applications folder to the trash, then install it again from the App Store app. Let me know if you still have issues running it.

All the refunds are managed by Apple. Soon you will receive a receipt on your e-mail. Just click on the link there below the application name to report a problem then follow the instructions.

I have used ps 6, aperature,Lightroomphasone one onone and pixelmator and have gotten great results with AP. When I first tried it I compared to some of the other. Software I used and felt it wasn't up there until I watched a couple of videos and really saw its capacity. I have shown photos to others who also feel this a pis a really good program. Everything takes time to get use to.

Cheers,

Gary