You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Paint Bucket leaving ugly pixelated border lines

so this is a weird glitch paint bucket fill glitch that just happened today. I have been working with the paths and bucket tool for over a year now for a comic book client, so this is the first time I've seen this glitch in where filling in a new color creates an ugly visible line in the borders. This makes extra geometric shapes to select when color sampling and overall makes everything look really messy.

My fill setting are at the normal 0% tolerance and contiguous checked off. I'm at a loss of how to fix this.

paint_bucket_glitch_before.JPG

paint_bucket_glitch_after.JPG

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

The file seems to be truncated.

The forum needs urgently an upgrade / improvement. How many hours could be saved if the forum software would make correct uploads? Just count it: You take time to reply, ArthurFfox tries another upload and wastes some time, maybe not working again. You post a link to your dropdox. He uploads and so on and so on. Just an idea.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I don't know how much it would help then, but I uploaded the image to the dropbox. Apologies for the wait.

Personally, I still haven't found a reason to why the bucket is leaving a visible line. I've worked around it by doing extra steps in brushing it over but it's really slowing down my work flow. Any help as to what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated!

• Staff

You have a lot of contamination around the edges, so it will probably not work with 30%. The more contaminated your edges are, the higher the tolerance value has to be. Otherwise, it will not fill in the contaminated edges, and will look wrong

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 08.47.06.jpg

Screenshot 2020-01-20 at 08.47.44.jpg

How is that effecting layers beneath it though?? Because I didn't color in the same layer where the client's linework is.

Well either way, I discovered that I tweaked the gamma a little too high with the adjustments tab in this page, so that might've been the problem? Because now in future pages I just "erased the white" and then duplicated the black line art + merge down to make it darker instead of using any adjustments. Now the bucket tool doesn't leave a line anymore in the layers below it...but like, I have no idea why it did in the page I sent you. Anyway, thanks for trying to help at least!

• 2 weeks later...

So I discovered that if I zoomed in close enough on the color layer a thin line is still visible through the colors. This is making coloring frustrating as magic wand/quick select won't select the line in question since it's a separate color. Like say, I have a circle that is red: I select then fill half of it with blue (0% tolerance) and then do the same with the other side, it will leave a thin red line in the middle. Hiding the inks layer I have reveals an ugly mess ( zz_problem.JPG). There must be a selection or fill setting that I tweaked by accident because I have not had this problem before in previous pages (as you can see in 0_characters_ night.JPG).

Would appreciate some help as I need to make this comic as professional as possible. I still have the file from last time uploaded but if necessary I can upload the most recent page.

zz_problem.JPG

0_charatcers_night.JPG

Edited by ArthurFfox
typo

• Staff

I feel like we're just running round in circles here. Just as before, you talk about a scenario but attach a completely different screenshot. 

Like say, I have a circle that is red: I select then fill half of it with blue (0% tolerance) and then do the same with the other side, it will leave a thin red line in the middle

I replicated the same circle you did just now and there was no line in the middle. HOWEVER in the document I uploaded to you and as clearly seen in the file (zz_problem.jpg) there are border lines where I used the bucket tool using the same tolerance level. I'm not coloring on the same layer as the ink lineart, and this problem did not occur for over 50 pages until recently. I know it's the bucket/fill tool, because the borderlines are only appearing on the color layer.