You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tables not working right

EddieM

I am trying to use a table nothing hard making an order form for products but publisher will not let me aline the text in the center of the table.

Some lines aline in the center and others do not move at all and do nothing. And trying to even get into the text area is a nightmare It keeps selecting the full block, not the text.

See screenshot you can see many lines are centered but a few of them will not move to the center.

I even highlighted them and in the tool it shows it is set to center but as you can see they are not.

Table-Problem.JPG

The quickest way for help with this would be for you to copy that table to a new document, confirm the problem still exists, then upload that new document to the forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Please check if the text of the cells in question are aligned to the baseline grid. Or else like carl123 said upload the document here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Document baseline grid overrides everything. You can turn off align to baseline in paragraph or table, but as long as the document baseline is activated you can't align the text vertically in the cells without an offset.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I appreciate your efforts, but - more or less a note to the developers - as long as Document baseline grid is ON, you can't get text vertically aligned in cells.

------

Hi Joachim,
the three tables in the document are completely correct. It is not the (unselected) baseline grid (see table panel), but the hard line break (enter) that I wanted; press the backspace key in some rows to delete the hard break. Tip: Unlock layers and show special characters.

Regards, Gitta

Hi Gitta, turn on the Document baseline grid, not the baseline grids you can enable in the Table or Paragraph panel. There is a button in the top toolbar for the Document baseline grid. 

------

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

We have made fixes/improvements to this area (Centre alignment out of position if baseline grid enabled) of the program in the latest customer beta. Some elements of this report remain outstanding (Tables should be able to ignore baseline grids). If you would like to try these changes the beta software is available in the forum posts listed below.

The latest beta builds are downloadable from links at the top of each of these beta forum posts.

These betas install parallel, next to the release version (they do not overwrite your release) and so the fixes can be tried in the beta without affecting your normal workflow in the release version.

Once these programs have been through a full beta process the change will be released in a future free 1.8.0 update/patch to all customers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon