You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

We are migrating our forms overlay process to Affinity Publisher and are forced to work with Windows Meta Files (.wmf) as our overlay. We start with the original overlay file (wmf) to open/import into Affinity, then save to .afpub. Next, we would make any changes, as needed, then save, and export to .wmf. Affinity creates a new .wmf file, but it is significantly larger than the original, it also can't be opened

The problem with the .wmf file Affinity created is that it can't be opened by other windows programs.  While our application is proprietary, Affinity's files can't be opened or viewed using the usual programs, like paint, which seems to be the issue.

Any tips or setting change suggestions, or even what the issue is would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached the original (FINL-org.wmf) file, the (FINL.afpub) and the Affinity created (FINL-pub.wmf).

FINL-pub.wmf

FINL-org.wmf

FINL.afpub

And export imported wmf without any changes? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 hours ago, Kaseyh said:

The problem with the .wmf file Affinity created is that it can't be opened by other windows programs.  While our application is proprietary, Affinity's files can't be opened or viewed using the usual programs, like paint, which seems to be the issue.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, Kasey.

Sorry you're having problems. However, the version created by Affinity does open in Paint for me. I agree that it has much larger pixel dimensions, which I do not understand.

Interestingly, exporting in EMF (Enhanced Meta File) format is much closer to the original, with the pixel dimensions increasing by only about 150 or so.

Possibly someone else will be able to help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thank you both for your responses.

7 hours ago, Pšenda said:

And export imported wmf without any changes? 

The files I previously attached were not edited between import and export. I simply opened the original wmf in Affinity, saved and exported as a demonstration for this forum.

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Sorry you're having problems. However, the version created by Affinity does open in Paint for me. I agree that it has much larger pixel dimensions, which I do not understand.

Interestingly, exporting in EMF (Enhanced Meta File) format is much closer to the original, with the pixel dimensions increasing by only about 150 or so.

I've also opened a new document, added text "This is an overlay." and exported to wmf (emf will not work for our application), while I could open in paint, it is massive (compared to the ancient editor we previously used). Is there any way to reduce the resolution when exported?

I have the same issue occurring.  It doesn't matter if I modify the file or don't anything I export from Affinity Publisher or Designer as a wmf or emf file gets increased exponentially in size and won't open in the program being used. 

I would ask the same thing as Kaseyh - is there a way to reduce the resolution when exporting to a wmf/emf file type? 

Why does Affinity increase the size of the file exponentially?  If I upload the file to see the metadata the file has a very small height/width but when I upload the one exported from Affinity it blows it out to 12 times the size on the height/width.

To add to this I also tried the same thing out of Inkscape and it works correctly.  I don't understand what Affinity is doing in the export process.  If I try to export to an emf it makes the file exponentially larger than it does doing it to a wmf.  I've also tried the svg file types and can't open those once exported either.  (Actually tried pdf, svg, emf, wmf, tiff, etc..... and none of them seem to work.)

Edited by jmpickrell
Additional information

Thank you, @Lee D.

Just curious: do you have any idea of if, and/or, when a patch can be available? We would also be willing to test a patch, or provide any other assistance, as we are highly motivated to abandon our current software and move full time to Affinity Designer and Publisher (both experience the same issue).

Publisher 1.7.3.481 / Designer 1.7.3.481
PC: Windows 10 Pro v. 1803 (17134.1184) / Intel i7-8650U @ 1.90GHz / 16GB RAM

• 3 years later...