You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to make sure pen strokes aren't outlined? (iPad)

I'm a new user. I've been tracing bitmap images to use in my embroidery software. Something happened in a recent file and I don't know what. 

In the attached image, you can see the upper half has single lines but the bottom half as outlined the strokes. I used the pen tool for the entire design. It all looks the same to me in Designer on iPad but when I bring into my embroidery software, I see this (it only shows wireframes). I need to have a single line version to work properly in my embroidery app.

I have pressure sensitivity turned off and an even width stroke selected. I've set my layers to "vector."

I tried copying the design to a new file, deleting the bad parts and retracing but I get the same result. I just can't see it until I export as eps and import into Punto. If I start fresh in a new document, the outlines are correct.

What am I doing that's causing this? Is there a way to see when it starts happening in Designer before I get too far?

Is there a way to change these back to "normal" single strokes or do I need to redraw everything?

Screen Shot 2020-01-06 at 1.14.50 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Lindee

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you I have been testing you file you send on my iPad I have been unable to get the double lines that you are seeing on the document, Can you please try the attached EPS file in your embroidery software and let me know if the outline lines appear

Snowmen Redo - with outlined strokes.eps

Thanks. @DWright

These are all still outlined. I can't see it on iPad. The lines don't look any different. I can't see it until I view it in either Illustrator (turn off Preview) or my embroidery software. 

Last night I redrew 3 pieces. One was fine and 2 were outlined again. To me, I was using the same tools (Pen) in the same way so I really don't know how it happens. And they don't look any different on the iPad so there's no way to tell until after I've done all that work. Even if I set the pen width to .2mm, I have outlined strokes.

It's making me crazy!

Screen Shot 2020-01-21 at 8.05.54 AM.png