You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Odd Spaces in PDF Imported Text Boxes

I'm not sure if I'm importing incorrectly or if this is a bug. When opening layered PDFs created in GIS software, text boxes contain odd spaces that are not corrected with any text alignment setting. The red circles in the attached images illustrate the spaces in center and left aligned setting. Note the relation of the text to the text box boundary.

Left Aligned.jpg

Center Aligned.jpg

• Staff

Thanks for the PDF. This isn't a bug, but is just how Affinity is trying to best align the text so it matches the look of the PDF. Because of this it is applying First Line Indents on the text object which means the first line of a paragraph gets indented. This can be fixed by selecting the Paragraph (or the entire text) and go to the Paragraph Panel and set First Line Indent and Line Indent to 0pt. This will remove the gap and allow you to align the text without a problem.

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

This can be fixed by selecting the Paragraph (or the entire text) and go to the Paragraph Panel and set First Line Indent and Line Indent to 0pt. This will remove the gap and allow you to align the text without a problem.

Or, I think, by choosing the option to favor editable text over fidelity when opening the file in Designer:
image.png.c493ff89f1d9e27b8aba05776c8ab0ef.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Sean P said:

I did try that on the import, but wasn't getting any different behaviour.

With the supplied PDF, the option changed whether one of the paragraphs has indents specified (with favor fidelity) or whether it comes in as centered text (favor editability).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1