You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rotate view Tool

On 5/21/2020 at 4:28 AM, Xzenor said:

No offense but this entire thread is about begging to Serif to 'do it like Photoshop'. You seem to be the only one having an issue with the way Photoshop handles it.

No offense, but your comment seems to imply that there is something offensive about having your own opinion and actually voicing it.

9 hours ago, Kuttyjoe said:

No offense, but your comment seems to imply that there is something offensive about having your own opinion and actually voicing it.

I can see how my comment can be understood in that way. My apologies, I never meant to imply that you shouldn't express your opinion. Just that you seemed to be the odd one out, although the other comment already pointed out that you're not the only one with that opinion, so I stand corrected on that part too.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 5 weeks later...

Here one more person wishing this feature was present in Affinity, the solution presented right now is just far from ideal for fluidity and fine tunning reasons.

I’m reading in this thread that this functionality exists in MacOS vía trackpad, but why not make it available also on windows?. I find it incredible that you guys are capable of developing such great software with great capabilities and leave out that feature, (the bad quality image when rotating at 15 degree is also something I just don’t get) I suppose this must be something really really hard to implement in windows? I have the Wacom tablet but using it as a trackpad or using the touch wheel Is just so very unpleasant in affinity photo on windows.

Also, we mention Photoshop rotation as a reference because is what’s most known, and is anyways just much much better than current Affinity’s implementation of this rotate tool on windows, so obviously If they come up with yet a better I don’t think there would be no complaints :)

Edited by Ever

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

July 22 and still no rotation feature...

I'm just not using the software anymore because of this... It is sad because the pressure sensitivity is far better than the one in Clip Studio but no rotation, no use for digital drawing or painting...

Please, please, do something Serif !

6 hours ago, shelghost said:

July 22 and still no rotation feature...

I'm just not using the software anymore because of this... It is sad because the pressure sensitivity is far better than the one in Clip Studio but no rotation, no use for digital drawing or painting...

Please, please, do something Serif !

I have to admit that is stopping me from using Affinity right now too. It's definitely superior in pressure sensitivity than Photoshop but I really need to use a more streamlined rotate tool as a part of my painting process. I really hope an update on the rotate tool happens soon.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi BrianHermelijn,
Windows touchpad doesn't offer support for rotation as on macOS so it will not be possible to use it for this purpose but we are looking into ways to improve things here (freely rotate the canvas) for both macOS and Windows users (besides the touchpad). I can't give you an eta though, sorry.

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2020 at 4:22 AM, Kuttyjoe said:

Clip Studio does rotation even better than Photoshop. It doesn't have a rotation "tool" which must be used.  Screen rotation is done by key modifier and mouse or stylus drag, and no giant compass appears in the middle of the screen.  In Photoshop, I had to waste a precious button on my Wacom EK remote just for the screen rotation tool.  If Serif is going to do a proper rotation function, I hope they take notes from Clip Studio Paint and not Photoshop.    Also, if you hold the same key modifier and double tap the screen, it resets the screen rotation to default.  It's perfection.

Yes! And also flip horizontal and flip vertical view! It helps to see if you are doing good with your proportions etc. Really need it in AD 🙏

2 hours ago, MEB said:

Rotate View (using modifiers and mouse) is being added to the current Betas: already available in Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.4 (macOS) and Designer and Photo Betas 1.9.0.780 (Win).

Thanks! Just the rotation? Or has the antialiassing been looked at as well?

Not to sound ungrateful btw, just curious what to expect.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

On 10/19/2020 at 12:52 AM, MEB said:

Rotate View (using modifiers and mouse) is being added to the current Betas: already available in Affinity Designer Beta 1.9.0.4 (macOS) and Designer and Photo Betas 1.9.0.780 (Win).

I appreciate the implementation of Rotate but is holding down Alt+mouse wheel scroll the only way to rotate? Is there a way to make it so that we can bind it to a key (like 'R') to use Rotate instead?

I paint digitally and unless I have 3 hands, it makes it a little difficult to Rotate :(

Also, any idea when antialiassing will be addressed with rotation?

I'm more than willing to be patient with all of this and look forward to one day no longer using Photoshop. 🙆‍♀️ Thanks so much for listening to us and what has been done so far!

5 hours ago, faedri said:

I paint digitally and unless I have 3 hands, it makes it a little difficult to Rotate

At least on the Mac, the newer Wacom tablets that have touch sensitivity (as well as trackpads) allow rotation with a gesture (rotating two fingers).

That works particularly well with a Wacom tablet as you can just lift the pen and use two fingers of the same hand to rotate the "page" almost as if rotating paper under your hand...

Not sure if that works with Wacom tablets on Windows or not, though I know from other threads that it doesn't work with the trackpads right now.

I am user of Affinity Photo, is perfect on a macbook pro with the trackpad, but in PC the lack of a rotating feature makes me want to install photoshop as fast as possible. Also I think Krita which is open source allows that.

Rotating canvas in 15º intervals is making the software look pretty old, if I am not wrong Photoshop implemented this feature in 2007 or 2008 with CS5 or CS6.

Also when we paint in the reality we tend to rotate our paper, so not having this feature it feels pretty un natural to me. All this cool features your software has means nothing to me if you don't add a free rotation feature. 

Pay attention to this please, you can bring a lot of users from photoshop (because your software is much better in other areas) if you just add this feature. People is asking for this few years ago... wake up. 

Cheers.

3 hours ago, Javier Verdugo said:

I am user of Affinity Photo, is perfect on a macbook pro with the trackpad, but in PC the lack of a rotating feature makes me want to install photoshop as fast as possible. Also I think Krita which is open source allows that.

Rotating canvas in 15º intervals is making the software look pretty old, if I am not wrong Photoshop implemented this feature in 2007 or 2008 with CS5 or CS6.

Also when we paint in the reality we tend to rotate our paper, so not having this feature it feels pretty un natural to me. All this cool features your software has means nothing to me if you don't add a free rotation feature. 

Pay attention to this please, you can bring a lot of users from photoshop (because your software is much better in other areas) if you just add this feature. People is asking for this few years ago... wake up. 

Cheers.

Scroll up.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 1 month later...

Slow rotation and rendering with surprisingly jagged edges? I thought the Affinity engine was state of the art. Anyway, Clip Studio Paint Pro rotates like a boss (SHIFT + space):

rotate.thumb.gif.38e651ba432f0d0b0264e846999eb3f5.gif

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 11 months later...
4 minutes ago, Albo said:

Rotating canvas freely is a +5 !

And it already exists, if you mean "rotating the view of the canvas" (View > Rotate) , as opposed to "rotating the document" (Document > Rotate).

On Windows, just press Alt and use the mouse wheel (unless you've disabled that options in Preferences, Tools).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 minutes ago, Albo said:

I always forget to mention....on Mac.

Add your system specs to your forum signature so that you don’t need to remember to include them.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

30 minutes ago, Albo said:

I assigned a shortcut so at least it is a quicker.

Should also work on a Mac, I think, but I don't know which modifier key you'd use. Probably Opt + scrollwheel, but not necessarily. Look at Preferences, Tools, to see if there's an option and what key it uses.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, Albo said:

I haven't found any "free rotate canvas" options.

OK.

Windows has this:

image.png.428689d9c3950b9bd749a2133a9cc91d.png

-- Walt
PC: