Moustachey

Incorrect pixel dimensions when exporting artboard

Hi there,

I reported the following bug back in 2017 and I still come across this issue weekly

Bug: (Designer) In the single export dialog, the dimensions are trying to save my selected artboard with 1 extra px in width and height. It's not respecting the size of the artboard

I was able to recreate this issue easily by having more than 1 artboard in my new project then simply trying to export one of those artboards.

Here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1feusqulethklu/2020-01-06 10_57_54-Window.png?dl=0

Here's the sample file you can open to see the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t70v49r1w065pvl/designer-bug.afdesign?dl=0

Please let me know if you need any more information from me, but it's pretty easy to replicate by having more than 1 artboard on the latest version of AF Designer for Windows.

Thanks,
Luke.

I don't think that's a bug, Luke.

Your second and third artboards (top 2 in the layer stack) have non-integer widths (431.968px and 781.032px). To export them and include all their data Designer will need to increase the size of each to an integer pixel width.

Additionally, one of them is on a non-integer pixel boundary, too (x = 972.32px), which will cause similar behavior.

Hey Walt, thanks for your quick response.

Please see the screenshot, I've selected the bottom left artboard which has dimensions: (781 x 271)

When I go to export it, the width updates to: (782 x 271).

Also where are you seeing these non-integer widths? In my program none of them have decimal places. Cheers

32 minutes ago, Moustachey said:

Also where are you seeing these non-integer widths? In my program none of them have decimal places. Cheers

You probably need to adjust the number of decimal places in Preferences, User Interface. I generally use at least 3 decimal places for px dimensions.

36 minutes ago, Moustachey said:

Please see the screenshot, I've selected the bottom left artboard which has dimensions: (781 x 271)

When I go to export it, the width updates to: (782 x 271).

782 is correct, due to the non-integer width:

image.png.b86ede8af2e1dfa749746670bbd272df.png

(By the way, thanks for the sample file. It would help in examples like this if you gave your artboards unique names, instead of having 3 named Artboard1 :) )

Hey Walt, thanks for the tip!

Why do I need to adjust my Decimal Place for Unit Types from 1 for pixels? Shouldn't the transform tool just show the real dimension values?
This would surely make sense for default app settings.

I've also updated the .afdesign file with numbered artboards if needed for future use. :)

3 hours ago, Moustachey said:

Hey Walt, thanks for the tip!

Why do I need to adjust my Decimal Place for Unit Types from 1 for pixels? Shouldn't the transform tool just show the real dimension values?

I've also updated the .afdesign file with numbered artboards if needed for future use. :)

Set decimal place for pixels to 0 in Preferences>User Interface.
There is decimal number for units in order to control text/vector objects more precisely but for raster objects.

3 hours ago, ashf said:

Set decimal place for pixels to 0 in Preferences>User Interface.
There is decimal number for units in order to control text/vector objects more precisely but for raster objects.

No you don't, because this will only alter the visual representation of the decimals used.
They will be rounded down or up and don't show the real value.
Like Walt said,make the decimal places higher and it will show the correct values the object is actually using.

10 hours ago, Moustachey said:

The Affinity applications default to 1 decimal place. Actual values are accepted on input to at least 8 decimal places, but rounded for display to the number of decimal places specified by the user.

This has confused a number of users, from what I've read in the forums. Perhaps Serif should consider at least marking rounded values somehow. For example, 792.0* might mean it was a value rounded to 0 in the decimal place, vs exactly 0. (I wonder if there's a feature request for that?)