You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Incorrect pixel dimensions when exporting artboard

Hi there,

I reported the following bug back in 2017 and I still come across this issue weekly

Bug: (Designer) In the single export dialog, the dimensions are trying to save my selected artboard with 1 extra px in width and height. It's not respecting the size of the artboard

I was able to recreate this issue easily by having more than 1 artboard in my new project then simply trying to export one of those artboards.

Here's a screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j1feusqulethklu/2020-01-06 10_57_54-Window.png?dl=0

Here's the sample file you can open to see the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t70v49r1w065pvl/designer-bug.afdesign?dl=0

Please let me know if you need any more information from me, but it's pretty easy to replicate by having more than 1 artboard on the latest version of AF Designer for Windows.

Thanks,
Luke.

I don't think that's a bug, Luke.

Your second and third artboards (top 2 in the layer stack) have non-integer widths (431.968px and 781.032px). To export them and include all their data Designer will need to increase the size of each to an integer pixel width.

Additionally, one of them is on a non-integer pixel boundary, too (x = 972.32px), which will cause similar behavior.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hey Walt, thanks for your quick response.

Please see the screenshot, I've selected the bottom left artboard which has dimensions: (781 x 271)

When I go to export it, the width updates to: (782 x 271).

Also where are you seeing these non-integer widths? In my program none of them have decimal places. Cheers

32 minutes ago, Moustachey said:

Also where are you seeing these non-integer widths? In my program none of them have decimal places. Cheers

You probably need to adjust the number of decimal places in Preferences, User Interface. I generally use at least 3 decimal places for px dimensions.

36 minutes ago, Moustachey said:

Please see the screenshot, I've selected the bottom left artboard which has dimensions: (781 x 271)

When I go to export it, the width updates to: (782 x 271).

782 is correct, due to the non-integer width:

image.png.b86ede8af2e1dfa749746670bbd272df.png

(By the way, thanks for the sample file. It would help in examples like this if you gave your artboards unique names, instead of having 3 named Artboard1 :) )

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Hey Walt, thanks for the tip!

Why do I need to adjust my Decimal Place for Unit Types from 1 for pixels? Shouldn't the transform tool just show the real dimension values?
This would surely make sense for default app settings.

I've also updated the .afdesign file with numbered artboards if needed for future use. :)

3 hours ago, Moustachey said:

Hey Walt, thanks for the tip!

Why do I need to adjust my Decimal Place for Unit Types from 1 for pixels? Shouldn't the transform tool just show the real dimension values?

I've also updated the .afdesign file with numbered artboards if needed for future use. :)

Set decimal place for pixels to 0 in Preferences>User Interface.
There is decimal number for units in order to control text/vector objects more precisely but for raster objects.

10 hours ago, Moustachey said:

The Affinity applications default to 1 decimal place. Actual values are accepted on input to at least 8 decimal places, but rounded for display to the number of decimal places specified by the user.

This has confused a number of users, from what I've read in the forums. Perhaps Serif should consider at least marking rounded values somehow. For example, 792.0* might mean it was a value rounded to 0 in the decimal place, vs exactly 0. (I wonder if there's a feature request for that?)

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 years later...
27 minutes ago, AFPelle said:

Even if you set the px decimals to zero,

If you're referring to setting them to 0 in the Preferences, that is a control over how many decimals are displayed, not how many are used. Internally, calculations are always full precision. So, above, I was referring to setting the number of decimals higher, so you can reliably see when you have problems with your positioning or sizes,

You must ensure that objects are located on integer pixel boundaries, and have integer pixel sizes. If you give us more information about your situation (the file, or screenshots showing the Transform panel for the affected object, we can provide more info).

-- Walt
PC:

Hi there!

I have the same issue from time to time... so I checked out the forum and found this thread! @walt.farrell

So I tried to set my pixels to 3 decimals, but also in 3 decimals my artboard has a integer - but in export persona the dimensions are 1 pixel larger!? (see screenshots)

Any other idea on this?

In the file where the screenshots came from I have a number of copies of the same artboards. Some of them show this issue and some not! But all artboards are copies from the same one...

Thanks for help!

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 13.35.13.png

Screenshot 2022-09-08 at 13.34.56.png

4 minutes ago, AndreassaerdnA said:

Any other idea on this?

Look at the X and Y coordinates in the Transform panel. They must be integers, too.

-- Walt
PC:

54 minutes ago, AndreassaerdnA said:

But this is a little strange, isn´t it? The possition has an impact onto the size?

...is there a way to tell designer to make just integer pixel values possible?? At the moment I could not think about a situation why I should need half pixels...

I'm not sure anyone but the Developers understand why the position should matter, but it does.

Snapping can help you ensure they're all on a pixel boundary, which will help avoid problems until the export processing is improved, if it ever is.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, AndreassaerdnA said:

...is there a way to tell designer to make just integer pixel values possible?? At the moment I could not think about a situation why I should need half pixels...

Have Snap to Pixels be the only thing enable for snapping and turn on snapping, Turn off Move by whole pixels. Definitely do not have Snap to mid points enabled.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, AndreassaerdnA said:

The possition has an impact onto the size?

It does because if the exported item is not aligned on pixel edges then, since a pixel must be completely filled with only a single color, then the app has to allow for that by increasing the number of pixels exported so there are no partially filled pixels.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7