You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adjustment Overlay Glitch

Hi,

I am using Affinity 1.7.3 on a Macbook Air, i7, 8GB RAM and 500GB SSD. I have no other issues other than the one stated below. I did not see this issue listed anywhere on the forum. FOrgive me if it is and I missed it. 

I recently noticed that if I edit an image, in this case a RAW file from a camera (Does not matter which camera file. It happens on multiple RAW files from different model cameras) So, I edit the photo and save it as an .afphoto file. Later , I decide I want to re-open the .afphoto image and edit it again.  When I attempt to add an overlay, it does not "mask" the painted area, nor can I actually adjust anything. It's like the overlay I just created doesn't exist. This is rather frustrating because I sometimes need to revisit an image to adjust differently for a client and I find myself having to re-open the original RAW file and completely re-edit the entire image. 

I'm able to reopen a .afphoto file on Windows, go into the Develop Persona, and use the Overlay Brush to create an overlay, and then make adjustments based on the overlay.

If that's what you're doing, I think it should work on Mac, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @Solsticeman, I think we have come across the same problem. The overlay in Develop Persona is not useable in each ... trying to think of the term... section of processing. I can use the overlay in basic exposure +/- but not in Curves. That is a bit of a mystery to me but I think there is still work to be done to the engine and Photo was brought to market as is. Hopefully there will be improvements made to include the overlay in everything.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Hi @Solsticeman, I think we have come across the same problem. The overlay in Develop Persona is not useable in each ... trying to think of the term... section of processing. I can use the overlay in basic exposure +/- but not in Curves. That is a bit of a mystery to me but I think there is still work to be done to the engine and Photo was brought to market as is. Hopefully there will be improvements made to include the overlay in everything.

I think there was a bug reported about the overlay being ignored in some areas.

But that didn't sound like what @Solsticeman was reporting. As interpreted the OP, the overlay wasn't even being created after the file was reopened.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1