You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save files to iCloud Drive by default

Since my iCloud Drive space is almost full, I'm trying to reduce the space needed for backups. I noticed that even though I have barely any document in Affinity Designer on iPad, the backup for the app takes around 1GB, probably due to the sample projects that I downloaded. So I was wondering if one could automatically exclude the sample projects from backup and if there is a way to automatically save my own documents to iCloud Drive (currently I have to remember to save them explicitly each time I make a modification) so that I could perhaps exclude the app from backup altogether.

You can go into your iCloud account through your iPad, go to Manage Storage, click on Designer and choose the files you want to dump, swipe left (on mine, yours may be set up differently) and it will delete the file. This means you could select the project Files and dump them.

If you go into the settings / preferences menu for Designer on the iPad, under "general" you can set the default save location to either "iCloud Drive" or "On My iPad"

On 1/10/2020 at 2:44 PM, Geoff777 said:

You can go into your iCloud account through your iPad, go to Manage Storage, click on Designer and choose the files you want to dump, swipe left (on mine, yours may be set up differently) and it will delete the file. This means you could select the project Files and dump them.

If you go into the settings / preferences menu for Designer on the iPad, under "general" you can set the default save location to either "iCloud Drive" or "On My iPad"

Thank you for your help, but that's not quite what I was looking for. First of all, I was quite confused because in Italian that setting is literally named "Save position of set of settings", so without temporarily switching to English I would have never found it. Second, I always have to tap on the burger menu in the document list and tap on Save before it actually appears in iCloud Drive, which means that I have to think of saving the documents after editing them. What I really wanted is a way to always automatically save the documents to iCloud, so that I don't have to think about saving them manually and can safely exclude the app from the iCloud backup (and save some space occupied by the sample documents which I open from time to time).

Oh, I see what you mean! Even though iCloud Drive is chosen as the default save location, it doesn't seem to upload until you click save on the document sub-menu in the doc library..... I can't see any way to change that which is a bit odd.....! If I find anything I'll pass it on and in the meantime hopefully someone else might have an answer.

• 2 weeks later...