You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scaling multiple objects in designer

Hi all, newbie question. In Designer on desktop, if  I select and group of say polygons and then resize them they stay joined together and the whole  group scales upward or downward. If I try this on Designer on Ipad, when I increase the size of grouped objects, the objects do not get bigger but spaces appear between them! I have found two ways of achieving what works seamlessly on desktop version. 
1 select the objects to scale, making sure they are ungrouped, then go operations expand stroke, then group. All objects now scale as expected
2 select objects, go into layers studio, expand the froup and select each element, select merge selected and again the objects then scale together. Does anyone know why desktop and ipad versions behave differently please?

7 hours ago, JeremyC said:

Hi all, newbie question. In Designer on desktop, if  I select and group of say polygons and then resize them they stay joined together and the whole  group scales upward or downward. If I try this on Designer on Ipad, when I increase the size of grouped objects, the objects do not get bigger but spaces appear between them! I have found two ways of achieving what works seamlessly on desktop version. 
1 select the objects to scale, making sure they are ungrouped, then go operations expand stroke, then group. All objects now scale as expected
2 select objects, go into layers studio, expand the froup and select each element, select merge selected and again the objects then scale together. Does anyone know why desktop and ipad versions behave differently please?

Select all layers and ensure “scale with object” selected in the advanced section of the stroke studio.

2D364797-5D8F-45D7-A775-538B3BC33EE1.jpeg

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Hi, thank you. In fact it seems you dont even have to select scale with object.

I still dont get why on the desktop version, all you have to do is make a group of objects and they scale as expected and yet on the ipad version they dont!

Perhaps one of the devs might kindly elucidate.

Hi ErrkaPetti!

Thank you so much for taking the time to try lookat this issue I had.

I had not closed down Affinity Designer on my Ipad since before Christmas! Having closed every app and resetting Ipad last night I am finding the ‘problem’ I had is banished!
The lesson to me is close Designer down more frequently.

Thanks again and to anyone else who tried to help.

Best wishes

Jeremy

• 1 year later...
On 1/6/2020 at 8:31 PM, JeremyC said:

on the desktop version, all you have to do is make a group of objects and they scale as expected and yet on the ipad version they dont!

For me, there’s a need for a great deal of harmonisation between the desktop and iPad versions. I’m using both the desktop and iPad versions of Designer almost equally at the moment, and it would be so much easier if there was more consistency.

At the moment, they appear to have been designed by two very different teams. Serif are on a journey here, to be fair. I’m hoping they’ll see this need and move toward it as they become more and more sophisticated. They’ve done extremely well with these apps considering we’re in early versions - you should have seen the illustrator and photoshop early versions!

Sure the iPad is a very different creature to desktop, though my counsel to Serif would be: harmonise to the iPad as that’s where the innovation is, and the future lies.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.