You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

I created a new document and set the size to 1100 x 1100 pixels (~3.5" x 3.5") and resolution to 300 DPI. I created a few layers and printed the image and it looks great, the size is correct.

When I export the *.afdesign file as a PNG and go to print the image it is much larger than 3.5" x 3.5". How do I maintain the same image size and resolution when I export the afdesign to a PNG?

Please advise.

Thank you,

lai1

If you load the png file into APhoto (or any other photo editor) what dpi does it give?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hi John,

I do not have a professional photo app. If I open the png on windows in paint the size is 1100 x 1100 and dpi is 96. If I open the image on a mac in preview the image is 1100 x 1100 and resolution is 300 dpi.

So maybe it's Windows?

This is very confusing.

lai1

6 minutes ago, lai1 said:

Hi John,

I do not have a professional photo app. If I open the png on windows in paint the size is 1100 x 1100 and dpi is 96. If I open the image on a mac in preview the image is 1100 x 1100 and resolution is 300 dpi.

So maybe it's Windows?

This is very confusing.

lai1

Hi Lai1, I think it's Windows.... I have no idea why it is opening at 96 dpi if it was saved as 300 dpi.

As far as I know, dpi is also pixels per inch, but I'm no expert. So, 1100 at 300 dpi would be 3.66 inches. At 96 dpi it would be 11.45 inches and that's where the size increase is coming from (plus you will notice lack of sharpness).

I think you need to check windows printer defaults or print from a Mac.

Hi Geoff,

That was the intent, to produce an image that is 3.5" x 3.5". It prints the correct size when I print .afdesign file or if I print it from a Mac. When I print it from Windows the image is much bigger than a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of paper causing the image to be cut off.

Sounds like a Windows thing...

Thank you for your help.

lai1

6 hours ago, lai1 said:

I do not have a professional photo app. If I open the png on windows in paint ...

Do yourself a favor and install a tool like IrfanView (it's free to use) which can deal better with various image formats.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 3 weeks later...