You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

convert grey scale image to bitmap

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/search/&q=1-bit

AP does not support 1-bit bitmaps. It can though export as 1-bit indexed colour, (which may not help much as it is not true b&w bitmap).

And you cannot make true halftone screens, there are no tools for it. Possibly you can prepare fake halftone effect and adjust that with threshold effect and export to 1-bit... not too simple a process.

Thank you for replying so quickly. I am disappointed.

I will have to keep my Photoshop soft. -- my subscription for all the other software in the Adobe series will be cancelled at the end of this month... to expensive.

I am happy with Affinity Publisher... I found how to do everything I am used to do on Indesign.

thanks again

Hi Louise,

For halftone dots, it's under the Effects | Special Tools | Rasterize. However, one can also do it with an Adjustment Layer, which is non-destructive. Found under Layer | New Adjustment Layer.

For other methods of halftoning (which I usually use), halftoning can be found under Layer | Convert Layer Type... Then choose To: Monotone and the Option for the method. I often use JJN Dither for photographic images. Be sure to view at 100% for an accurate view of the result.

• 6 months later...
10 hours ago, RKA said:

@Fixx I can't - for the life of me - test the theory of exporting as 1-bit. The TIFF export is as close as it gets

TIFF export in AP does not do lower than 8-bit. If you want 1-bit export you have to use PNG or GIF. And there is some fundamental difference between 1-bit B&W and 1-bit Indexed so it may not behave as expected in layout  apps.

4 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I am not sure what you mean by difference of 1-bit BW and 1-bit indexed.

...well, I think export options have been updated since I last checked 😄
Now you can select Black and White palette both is PNG and GIF and they both behave correctly in InDesign – i.e. you can colour background (white) and black pixels separately.