You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Canvas Turns to black sometimes

Hi,

The canvas turns into black some times (Especially when zoom in + pan). When I zoom out, it becomes normal. Kindly have a look at the screenshot. And, I couldn't regenerate this issue. It sometimes happens (not frequently).

Note: I have all my drivers updated to the latest version.

Version: Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481

Operating System : Windows 10 Pro

CPU : Intel i3-4005U with Intel HD 4400 Graphics

GPU: NVIDIA 820m 2GB

Tablet : One by Wacom  (CTL-471)

Annotation 2020-01-02 151031.png

Hi,@Gabe

I use graphic tablet only. I used to "pan" the canvas with MMB (assigned in pen). But, sometimes, the canvas freeze for a sec, while I pan the canvas (when zoomed in). Then the black screen appeared. When I zoomed out one step (with CTRL  -), the black screen disappeared. I face this issue every day three to four times. But, not frequently.

Hi @Gabe,

I'm sorry, if my information was not clear. Please have a look at the screenshots. Hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

You could see the screen jump while dragging the canvas (issue.gif). It freezes for a second and a black screen overlaid on the canvas. And, when I zoomed out the black overlay disappears.

The "normal.gif" is just a comparison (I don't face this issue all the time).

NORMAL.GIF

normal.gif

ISSUE.GIF

issue.gif

Go into

Edit > Preferences > Performance

and change Renderer to Warp

This will help determine if the problem is related to your graphics card

Things may run a little slower on Warp but use it for a while and report back if the problem still exists or has gone away

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi @Gabe,

I changed the renderer settings to my dedicated GPU. It worked fine with no slow performance issues. Then, I did one more test with my Intel GPU. I uninstalled my display driver and reinstalled the latest driver. And I did a "reset user defaults" in affinity designer (CTRL+ launch AD).

Now it works fine with no issues on my Intel GPU.

Thank you @carl123 and @Gabe for your help and support.