You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am a newbie with Affinity and thought I would ask the group for your thoughts. I've been asked to create a marketing slick that will visualize data in a bubble format. We use Affinity for our marketing materials but I've never really touched it and am completely overwhelmed when I try to do anything in Affinity.

I'm not a graphics person. I am pretty sure Word isn't going to cut but I also think Affinity might be overkill. Would you use Affinity for this type of task?

Which program/application do you have? I assume you mean 'marketing slide' meaning a graphic with some type of graphic bubble holding text.

1690671905_ScreenShot2020-01-02at2_23_52PM.png.273399d93bbb0187744cc0b1b1f388ac.png

Text in an ellipse and above it another ellipse with a gradient and an Overlay blend mode.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I have Affinity Designer and the usual Microsoft applications. 

I was given a piece of paper with one center bubble (my company's name) and other bubbles coming off of it - like a basic radial. Those secondary bubbles (markets like Commercial, Federal, Non-Profit) would have different sized bubbles inside of them to represent our clients.
They will want to take it to a printer so that's why I think they are keen on using Affinity.

Maybe it would look too cluttered in that format regardless of the software? Thank you for taking a look at my post. I appreciate your response and time!

You can create a simple bubble chart using the Ellipse shape. If you know the percentages that each client group represents you can create a centre bubble which represents 100% then duplicate that bubble and scale it down to the matching client percentage i.e

1. Main bubble = 100%
  2. Commercial = 57%
  3. Federal = 30%
  4. Non-Profit = 13%

In the transform Panel you can scale objects by percent...
109981104_ScreenShot2020-01-03at11_21_04.png.a4191c91ca3c5b66181b7ab550e5bc45.png

So in my example, I have used a 100 x 100mm Ellipse, I made 3 duplicates (Cmd + J) and on each duplicate I scaled it by the percentage shown above.

702220089_ScreenShot2020-01-03at11_27_26.png.2bab25381944362b7dbfdce122fa199f.png

Company report.afdesign

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you for responding! You've given me a lot to think about and even better, you showed me how to duplicate and modify, which gives me a little more confidence that I can do this. I really appreciate that you included the steps. 

The second page is the one I am looking to recreate. I don't think Word is the best for maintaining perfect circles. I'll play around a bit and see if I can recreate this in Designer. Do you think Designer is the best for this task or would you recommend Publisher?  

Markets Clients DV.docx

51 minutes ago, CKeady said:

Do you think Designer is the best for this task or would you recommend Publisher?  

Designer. Publisher could do it but I would do a one page thing like this in Designer, less clutter in the interface.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.