You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I am having a problem when placing a pdf, originally created in Finale, into Affinity publisher.  For notes with accidentals, the note-head and the accidental are overlapped and import as one character so I can not separate them.  The first screen shot is the way it looks once imported, the 2nd is from the original pdf.  I have found a word around by editing the document and manually replacing the characters using the maestro font, but it is extremely time consuming.  

I am new to Affinity, so all suggestions are welcome.

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 2.20.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 2.21.53 PM.png

I suggest typing the words (without the quotes) "finale pdf" into the search box here in the forums, and read through some of the older topics related to this.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, Lagarto said:

This is basically ok as it produces by default 200dpi renders with grayscale mode so the files are print-ready as they are for basic needs, and readily be placeable virtually in any publications. But aiming at 300dpi rendering woud be ideal.

Yep, 300 dpi would be better, but best (converting to curves) is more expensive and/or just more "techie." I suspect the convert to curves could be done via command-line with GhostScript.

Great will be Serif just getting both pdf passthrough and convert type to curves upon placing.

14 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Wow. and if really so, some exclamation marks following... That's really a game changer...

It will happen. But until either or both capabilities show up in a beta, it's wishful thinking. 

Oh...and while PagePlus gained these capabilities before work stopped on it, it never handled all pdfs correctly (neither type conversion nor pdf passthrough), especially with pdfs made with Adobe products. Though Serif was using an older version of the pdf code, so I don't know what advancements were/have been made with pdflib since then.

Oh also...PP also could use embedded fonts but the same caveats above apply.

Capture_000365.png.77acd9061d96426cd00d460c826e4242.png

Capture_000366.png.981975effdfad866d6a613a59edc7c1a.png

As a follow-up, GhostScript (GS) works just fine. The command line parameters are:

"C:\Program Files\gs\gs9.27\bin\gswin64.exe" -o output.pdf -dNoOutputFonts -sDEVICE=pdfwrite input.pdf

Need to use a current version of GS (newer than 9.14 I believe) for the single command line.

Path to GS needs adjusted for your installation. I created the batch file on my desktop. Without a path for the input pdf, it needs to be located wherever the batch file is. I have no idea if this can be done on a Mac...

Mike

Wow!! That's a lot of problem solving.  Thanks everyone.  I'm not sure I understand everything suggested, but I will see what I can do with what's here. I've completed 4 books each with two-10 page pdf's as this is the first problem I've run in to.   Wish me luck

H

13 hours ago, MikeW said:

Path to GS needs adjusted for your installation. I created the batch file on my desktop. Without a path for the input pdf, it needs to be located wherever the batch file is. I have no idea if this can be done on a Mac...

I tried to install GS to my mac but I could not solve this path problem. I needed GS for XnConvert to convert PDF files... so it did not happen.

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

I tried to install GS to my mac but I could not solve this path problem. I needed GS for XnConvert to convert PDF files... so it did not happen.

It's been since the early 1990s since I last used a Mac. Though the first part is actually building GS from the source, perhaps this helps?

https://www.grenadeco.com/tutorial/introduction-to-ghostscript/

Also, in Windows one can add GS to an environment variable, which obviates the need to type a path. Maybe that sort of thing is possible with a Mac?

6 hours ago, Catshill said:

How does it compare to Inkscape rendering of fonts?

I dunno. But I know some people have expressed a dislike for installing InkScape. This is just an alternative.

As I "own" Acrobat & pdfToolbox, I don't need this or other workarounds anyway.

Success!  I purchased software which allowed me to make a "flattened" pdf and it worked like a charm.  To my surprise, even though flattening is supposed to render the pdf un-editable ,(assuming I've understood correctly)  I was still able to edit it within Affinity.

Thanks for all the help!