You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm trying to do something fairly easy in Affinity Photo and I can't make it happen.

If I copy an image from one document and then paste it in another (in Photoshop) it pastes it in the middle. However, if I try the same operation in Affinity Photo it pastes it in the upper left corner.  Is there any way to paste something exactly in the middle.

It seems easy enough but I haven't been able to do it.

Please help.

Happy New Year!

What is a bit odd is if you copy the file from Finder (This may also be true for Windows Explorer) by right-clicking and selecting Copy, and then paste it into the document it will paste in the centre.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Well, that's not what happens.  Maybe I should explain exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have a series of templates that I use to print my photos with a white border.  For example, I have one that's 13" X 19" that I use for 12" X 18" images.  So what I normally used to do in Photoshop was to copy the 12" X 18" image and paste it on the 13" X 19" file.  Then I would export the 13" X 19 image as a JPEG and print it to my Canon PIXMA pro 100.  The result would be a 12" X 18" photo with a ½" border all around.

In Affinity I do the same thing but I have to go through the extra step of centering the image both vertically and horizontally.  I find that odd.

I keep wanting to move completely to Affinity Photo but I keep having to return to Photoshop.  After making such a big splash Affinity Photo seems to be losing steam: no clear pluging compatibility, no compatibility with Color Checker Passport, no TWAIN compatibility... the list goes on and on.  And since I refuse to pay a monthly fee for Photoshop any longer I've been forced to return to my trusty copy of CS5.

Let's hope something else comes along in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Orlando Mergal said:

By the way, I don't know how I ended up with the term “newbie” under my name but I've been at this since 1990.  My first Photoshop was version 1. So I've been around the block.

New to this forum.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Orlando Mergal said:

Well, that's not what happens.  Maybe I should explain exactly what I'm trying to do.

I have a series of templates that I use to print my photos with a white border.  For example, I have one that's 13" X 19" that I use for 12" X 18" images.  So what I normally used to do in Photoshop was to copy the 12" X 18" image and paste it on the 13" X 19" file.  Then I would export the 13" X 19 image as a JPEG and print it to my Canon PIXMA pro 100.  The result would be a 12" X 18" photo with a ½" border all around.

In Affinity I do the same thing but I have to go through the extra step of centering the image both vertically and horizontally.  I find that odd.

If you copy and paste an object to another document of an equal or larger size the X,Y coordinates of the pasted object will be the same as the original.  (i.e. in your case 0,0)

If you paste to a smaller document where the original X,Y coordinates of the object would be pasted outside the canvas area of the new document then the object will be pasted in the center of the document.

Affinity always tries to do a "Paste in Place" by default, to preserve the X,Y coordinates of the original object (which is usually very useful).  But if the original object's X,Y coordinates are outside the boundaries of the new document then by default Affinity will paste the object centered in the new document.

Note: 3 of the formats under Edit > Paste Special (Windows version) will automatically paste the object to the center of the new document, which may or may not be useful to you

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

51 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I can see that this is the purpose of this feature, but it does not seem to work properly, at least with current beta.

Thanks, it appears to work correctly in the 1.7 released version but a quick test in the 1.8 beta appears to show it's offset from the center.  I don't have time to test this in-depth today but if you feel you have found a new bug in the beta you may want to create a new post for the bug in the appropriate beta forum

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 months later...

I arrived here looking for a solution to controlling the paste position when using 'Paste inside', which I discovered on my own: Right-click > Paste as content. Posting this note in case it spares someone the time. Please consider adding this 'Paste as content' function or some variant to the Paste options in the app menu and adding a modified click that allows user to determine paste position, whether inside a frame or not. ✂️

ok, so this issue seems to have gotten worse from what people described. it pastes in the center of your window, not your canvas. I'm just updating the render and i have re-align it every time, very annoying. 

here is a video showing my problem in affinity designer: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/61y9hb05tmimdmu/2020-03-29_23-30-34.mp4

• 7 months later...

I too will not buy the product because of lack of this feature.

I am doing the 10 day trial and the pasting with the right bottom corner in the center makes me zoom out and reposition the image every time.

This is a repetitive task that has to take place more than thrice every 5 minutes and having to - zoom out, reposition, zoom in - every time makes the change not worth it

Edit: it pastes in a different place depending on the zoom number and the position of the canvas in the window. It's crazy

Edited by Noe

• 3 months later...

I bought Affinity Photo immediately after it came out and I've never actually used it because of little things like this.I also don't like that there doesn't seem to be a way to install Adobe-compatible plugins if you don't actually have Photoshop installed on your machine. Finally, I hate Adobe's monthly rent model.  So what have I done?  I have a copy of Photoshop CS5 installed on a second (older) 27" iMac running Mac OS 10.6.8 and that's what I use on those rare occasions when I absolutely/positively need to use Photoshop. The rest of the time I just use Luminar.

I wish the people at Affinity would come out with a way to install Adobe plugins straight into Affinity Photo.  Oh, and the fact that when you paste something it doesn't land in the middle is annoying too. 

7 minutes ago, Orlando Mergal said:

I also don't like that there doesn't seem to be a way to install Adobe-compatible plugins if you don't actually have Photoshop installed on your machine.

Not all Photoshop plugins will work in Affinity Photo but there is no dependence on a Photoshop installation for those that do.

Affinity Photo Help: Using Plugins

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)