Saving any modification to the attached file crashes Affinity Designer with 100% repeatability (over about a dozen tries).

I have a number of other files which are very similar to the attachment , which do not crash A.D. when amending and saving. At least they haven't yet done so.

As you can imagine, this is a very worrying problem.

Era 8 Science Project.afdesign

Not sure why it is crashing but if you select and copy the Artboard in the Layers panel then do File > New from Clipboard then the new document seems to be stable.

Hopefully, Serif will find your uploaded document useful in determining exactly why it crashes

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

Unfortunately, this problem has been getting worse. The solution above had been working, but with the attached file, even if I create a new file from the clipboard, AD crashes when I save it. I fear my saves are becoming corrupted, and I am not sure what to do about this. The two examples I have posted are fairly straightforward to rebuild from scratch, but I have some files which would take many hours to recreate. Further, I am not even sure that backing up will help, because the apparent corruption may begin before it manifests in a crash.

Base Action - Civil Emergency.afdesign

Where are you saving your files?

Locally or some sort of non-local storage?

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be worried about.

They are saved locally on my C-drive, which is an SSD drive. In fact, they are in a sub-folder of the Windows 'Documents' folder.

One last question (for today) are your documents synched to an online cloud service like Google docs or do you have a backup running that constantly monitors for changed files and backs them up automatically at any time.