You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Apply mask" function from photoshop in affinity photo?

Hope any of you will be able to help me :-)
Whenever I masked a layer in photoshop, afterwards there was always a function called "apply mask" and when I used it, the mask and the layer kinda became one. How do I do this in affinity photo? Just merging the mask and the layer together via merging everything visible doesn't lead to the desired result. I really need this function... Thanks in advance!

(by the way, I use Affinity Photo in german, so my translation of the commands might not be correct. I am looking for the command "Maske anwenden" in affinity photo, since the command "sichtbare zusammenführen" doesn't lead to the desired result.)

Edited by marisview

• Staff

Hi Marisview,

Welcome to the forums :)

We don't have an apply mask feature similar to the one found in PhotoShop I'm afraid. The below forum thread should have more information regarding this.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• Staff

Hi @marisview, you should be able to select the mask layer, then use Layer>Merge Down (Ctrl+E or CMD+E), which will "rasterise" or flatten the mask into the alpha channel of the parent layer—does this work for you?

This also works if you have the mask layer above the target layer.

Note that this only applies to Pixel layers—Image layers (if you drag/place an image into your document) are immutable and cannot be merged. You must rasterise them first (Layer>Rasterise), but doing so will actually achieve the same effect as Merge Down, so no additional steps are required!

Hope that helps.

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials