You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not sure to understand what I have to toggle to see the objects outside of the page.

In one document I had these reference materials outside the page and then I must have done something, resulting in all objects outside of the page to be invisible.

Can't see any obvious option in Document setup.

Where's the magic button? Thanks.

In Affinity Designer and Publisher (but not in Photo) there is a ‘Clip to Canvas’ option on the ‘View > View Mode’ submenu.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas must be off to see items outside the page in Publisher.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, eoaaeo said:

mmmm There's no way to just see all the stage (may be not dark gray)  and see  what is outside the page? 

If you're in Publisher or Designer have you tried unchecking View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• 3 months later...

Yeah I have the same problem. If I cant see the items that are off the page, I cannot use the affinity publisher. 

taking off the unclip canvas check mark does not do it nor does changing the background to white. Any other ideas?

This has been a frustrating waste of time, I have to go back to page plus and recreate it. 

2 hours ago, whatisthis said:

Yeah I have the same problem. If I cant see the items that are off the page, I cannot use the affinity publisher. 

taking off the unclip canvas check mark does not do it nor does changing the background to white. Any other ideas?

This has been a frustrating waste of time, I have to go back to page plus and recreate it. 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Turning off View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas should work. I'm not sure if that's what you tried or not, because you mentioned "unclip canvas" which is a Photo action, and totally unrelated.

image.png.ecd24f08a622f9281b80942727f0de4f.png

If that isn't working for you, please show us a screenshot including where an object should be visible. Note that they will only be visible to the right or left of a page in the workspace (not the top or bottom) and only for the current page.

-- Walt
PC:

4 hours ago, whatisthis said:

A pressed "Preview" button also hides objects outside page and bleed areas. 1655297682_previewbutton.jpg.3134be6ed7bc3370bb8d4961a874b340.jpg

What you mean with "background to white"? Neither clip canvas nor preview button do influence the background color.
I wish Preview mode would also toggle the transparency checkerboard pattern instead of requiring going to Document Setup...

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Sorry not to get back to you. I am having a hard time transitioning from Page Plus which is perfect for my volunteer work. I am self taught so 

to learn everything in Affinity, I have to look it up. In Page Plus, I used the whole canvas to store inspiration, and every possible item/notes for a project.

Now I understand from your answer you can only see objects to the right or left of an object and only for the current page . Is there a way to store objects for later use on a project?

Of course I completed my project in hours in Page Plus (my perfect publisher program) vs days really not at all in Affinity. I ordered the designer program but not sure I can 

hang with the learning curve, I think it is way above where I am. Thanks

44 minutes ago, whatisthis said:

Is there a way to store objects for later use on a project?

You could add them to the Assets panel. Or create a separate Master Page that you don't assign to any document pages, and put them there. Assets can be useful across projects; the Master Page approach works just for the one project, unless you combine that with setting up a Template file that you could use for new projects.

As for "transitioning from Page Plus", if it still works for you there's no reason not to keep using it. But feel free to ask questions about Publisher if you use it and get stuck on something :)

-- Walt
PC:

> Or create a separate Master Page that you don't assign to any document pages, and put them there.

Note you can set the size of such a master 'storage' page (like any page) different to the size of your document pages, e.g. much larger to contain more objects in a certain size.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1