You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing grayscale image in spot color

Is it possible to specify a grayscale image (tiff, jpg, affinity photo) to print in a spot color. I know that duotones or tri-tones are not available, but it would be desireable to be able to specify and display a halftone in a match color.

Adobe does it all, of course, but Quark Xpress, while not supporting duotones, allows graycale images to be specified as a spot color and be overprinted or not. I have not seen a reference to this capability one way or another in Affinity applications. I am not referring to  duotones. Just assigning a spot color to a photo file. In any of the Affinity applications.

Edited by Nivrams
Spelling

2 hours ago, Nivrams said:

Is it possible to specify a grayscale image (tiff, jpg, affinity photo) to print in a spot color. I know that duotones or tri-tones are not available, but it would be desireable to be able to specify and display a halftone in a match color. ...

Have you tried? Yes, APub can import a grayscale image and have a spot color applied to it and output to pdf. However, without true duotone support, one cannot adjust the ink curves so your results will vary between unacceptable to OK.

2 hours ago, Nivrams said:

... but Quark Xpress, while not supporting duotones, ...

Of course Q does allow/use duotone images. That said, I would just use a duotone psd. Here's a duotone eps format in Q...

Capture_000361.png.45fb6c500e76b42b08783a10b365a0df.png