You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm going thru Affinity Workbook. Page 350  (and previously) shows all the layers stacked in Layers. I do not get the view shown on page 350, only the last Copy/Paste Layer. See screen shot. I can view each of them in the bar separately, and they appear in Layers...but not all together. Is this a change due to later update? Do I continue as in the Book and disregard the different view, or is there a new procedure I should follow?

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 2.30.01 PM.png

• Staff

Hi PaulD :)

As the workbook states, you need to open each of the images (02, 05 & 06) in their own documents, then copy and paste each of the images from their separate documents to your 'Master' document where you have already been editing the image.
After this, you should have the background layer, a layer for each hand (as described on page 344) and a group with 3 images in which are the steps you've just taken.

I recommend making sure your layers panel matches the Workbook before continuing, else this may cause issues in a later step.

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan C,

Sorry to be so dense :S. Here's what I'm doing. File>Open Background. File>Open Righthand. Click Background in Layers Panel. Command C. Click Background again (seems only way to get ~.jpgs in Layers panel). Then Command V to paste Righthand, etc. Screen shot shows Background thumbnail as original but image is Righthand? I'm still missing something... DAH!

Thanks for your patience... I will get thru this...maybe!

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.15.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-13 at 9.15.54 AM.png

• Staff

No problem PaulD - you've done everything correctly thus far!

With all 3 images in your document, you'll only see the topmost layer on your canvas, as the other 2 images are hidden behind this. Continue to follow the book to mask the left and right hand from each layer separately, and you should then see only the left hand on the left layer, only the right hand on the right layer and the background layer showing around these 2 hands.

Please do let me know if you need anymore advice :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Dan C- I have gotten thru Cheese6-cheese2-cheese5 successfully, but when I 'save as' and come back to the new page 350.afphpto version I can not continue to stack images. The lower layers are not visible. I have tried this twice without success. Now what am I doing wrong?

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 2.05.14 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 2.05.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 2.06.27 PM.png

Hi Dan-C:

Progress but crude.

1.Why is Cheese2 Mask picking up White when I'm painting Mask in Black?

2. Why is there a Black fill line above sandwich? Background is shifted right in that section. I assume I picked this up in one of the Selected layers I made.

Getting there... thanks for your patience!

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 3.17.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-19 at 3.18.03 PM.png

• Staff

Could you please upload a copy of your file to the following link, so that I can look into this for you? :)

https://www.dropbox.com/request/6eouaHuZ9uSjNeje8cq4

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

Of course, many thanks for your file!

Unfortunately in both files provided, Cheese2 does not appear as it does in your screenshots. File 350 has Cheese2 as a pixel layer, but this is not currently visible and no mask is applied to it. File 355, as you've mentioned, has the cheese layers rasterised so unfortunately the mask is missing here.

On 1/19/2020 at 8:28 PM, PaulD said:

2. Why is there a Black fill line above sandwich? Background is shifted right in that section. I assume I picked this up in one of the Selected layers I made.

I believe you've referring to the following -

image.png

This is part of the rasterised Cheese layer and likely was moved during one of the Liquify steps. You can try masking this out of the layer, as now it's rasterised I cannot 'undo' before this change was made.

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thanks Dan C:

Yes.  When I selected the cheese image I included the background above the cheese, mistakenly. That explains Question #2. 

I have trouble painting in masks, so I need to watch the process more carefully. I believe you are missing the detail for this.

Thanks for your support. On to the next challenge9_9