You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo downsizes images when importing from Photo Stream?

Hi guys I’ve not used the app in a while but I’ve noticed that if I start a new project from “import from photos” and load a photo to from my Photo Stream A weird thing happen

If I import from my photo stream the resolution gets dramatically lowered - why is that? The imported photo looks way worse than if I open it via the photo app, it’s quite pixelated. Is there a setting to tell AP to not lower the resolution of photo stream photos?

thanks. Fed

Edited by musicfed
Xxxxxx

thanks but that's not the reason. Photo stream photos are surely a bit lower but definitely not 480*360 like Affinity Photo now imports them. something weird is going on here that didn't happen before.

I used to edit phots straight from Photostream no problem.

the same photo I am able to import it from Photostream at 2016*1512px using AP on my Mac  - why on earth AP on iPad now arbitrarily reduces it to 480*360px?

can anyone replicate this issue?

• Staff

Hi musicfed :)

My apologies for the delayed response, as we have been closed over the holiday period.

Could you please confirm for me:

1. What iPad model and iOS version are you using?
  2. Are your images in a RAW format?
  3. If you open your Photos Library, then drag and drop an image from here onto the homescreen of the Affinity app, does the image open at full size?
  4. Do you have an active internet connection when trying to open these images?

Many thanks in advance!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan

1. What iPad model and iOS version are you using? IPad Pro 10.5 with latest IOS 
  2. Are your images in a RAW format? No
  3. If you open your Photos Library, then drag and drop an image from here onto the homescreen of the Affinity app, does the image open at full size? Haven’t tried this but not sure AP supports multi screen on the iPad Pro?
  4. Do you have an active internet connection when trying to open these images? Yes

i think this is a serious glitch that definitely wasn’t there before  

federico

• Staff

Many thanks for that info :)

38 minutes ago, musicfed said:
  • If you open your Photos Library, then drag and drop an image from here onto the homescreen of the Affinity app, does the image open at full size? Haven’t tried this but not sure AP supports multi screen on the iPad Pro?

You don't need to set the app to splitscreen, you can simply click and hold an image in Photos, then whilst keeping this finger pressed on the screen, use your other fingers to open Affinity, then on the homescreen you should see a green (+) icon indicating that if you let go of the finger holding the image, a document will be created for this, as shown below -

Could you please provide a screen recording showing you creating a new document in Affinity from the image in your Photo Library (which imports the low res version of the image) and attach this to your reply? If you're unsure how to record your iPad screen, please see here - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207935

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same problem as Fed. My photos downsize substantially if I start a new project from “import from photos” in Affinity for Ipad.

It gets better using the drag and drop method as described by Dan, but still the photos are not in their original size. There seems to be a limit at 2048 x 1536 whereas the original size might be 4032 x 3024.

Several months ago I could start from Affinity for Ipad and got the original size.

This really is a significant drawback.

I use an iPad pro 11 with latest IOS. The images are not in a RAW format, mostly jpg from an iPhone.

Whether or not I have an active internet connection does not make any difference.

I should be most grateful for any help. Otherwise the program is useless for my purposes.

Belisa

• Staff

Hi Belisa,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm very sorry to hear you're experiencing the same issue, as musicfed's support has moved to email, I will copy below my latest response -

I have been testing this issue this morning, trying to replicate the issue both you and the other customer is experiencing - I have tested on 4 separate iPads, 2 running iOS 12 & 2 iOS 13, synced with different iCloud accounts and with a new install of the Affinity app on 2 of the iPads. On each iPad I opened 3 different images, a JPEG, a PNG & a RAW file, all of which opened at full resolution.

In order to continue to investigate this issue, could you please confirm the following specifics for me? Please note I may have asked these before, but I need to be certain the steps have been taken before I continue down new avenues.

• Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the app? Did this change any behaviour? (please note you will lose any unsaved files when uninstalling the app)
  • Have you changed your Settings>Photos option to make sure 'Download and Keep Originals' is ticked?
  • If you take a photo using your iPad camera, the open this from the Camera Roll in Affinity Photo, does this open at the correct resolution?

Many thanks in advance.

As well as the above, could you please confirm the following for me:

• Please open Settings>General>iPad Storage and let me know how much Free Space is left on your iPad?
  • Do you have any other apps on your iPad that can access and open images from your Photo library? I'd like to check to see if these open the full resolution image, or the low resolution thumbnail that Affinity appears to be accessing.
  • How much free space do you have left in your iCloud account? (assuming you're syncing your photos with the cloud)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I too recently faced this issue.. Regarding RAW files imported from photo does not open in RAW full resltn.,instead its worse than a jpg file.

Before, When importing a RAW Files, it brings me to a RAW Persona(just forgot the name) where i can toggle in some adjustments before going to the Develop Persona, but recently when i import RAW photos,it does not even brings me to that RAW Persona, but instead brings me directly to the Developed Persona with a very low resltn.file...But in the case of me, not all of my RAW Files happens like that, i face this issues when i import RAW Image from Camera to iPad using lightning to  usb 3 camera adapter via CameraUSB Cable .. But RAW Files that i first import on Computer(stored in pendrive) and then Developed on AF is not facing that problems...

please help me... 

Edited by Lalte
Providing more details

Such low resolution files suggests to me that IOS is sending you the optimised versions, it says here least used files may be reduced in size especially if you’re low on storage space.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204264

How much free storage space on your iPad do you have?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

• 1 year later...

same issue as above. 

I have plenty of iCloud storage and pay $17.99 a month to keep my storage as large as possible… Still. Tiny images is all I get. Seriously disappointed as I purchased this program (Affinity) just last week. I noticed nothing about this issue in the reviews, unfortunately.. Now that I can’t use it and started asking why my pictures are so tiny, I found this thread. Awesome just wasted my money on a useless product. Ugh. 

4 hours ago, Bkmatty328 said:

I have plenty of iCloud storage and pay $17.99 a month to keep my storage as large as possible… Still. Tiny images is all I get.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If you look at the post above yours, the hypothesis was that the determining factor is the amount of free storage available on your iPad, not in your iCloud storage. In particular, from the Apple Support page that Paul referenced, please see https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204264#optimizestorage

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 9 months later...

1585211725_Bildschirmfoto2022-06-06um15_48_58.thumb.png.80faa6fa5848345fa4118dc3049b586d.pngWhen dragging a picture from Apple's Photos into Affinity (Photo, or Publisher, for that matter), it opens the file but with a reduced resolution compared to the original. 
This is extremely disappointing and confusing, especially since in AP no message appears that warns you it is downsizing your image. 

When you use the "place" (import) option, however, AP opens the image in its original resolution. 

The picture I loaded up here (showing the eye of a calf) shows the dramatic difference. 
Left is the picture in its original size, imported via the "place" function. Right is the same image but imported from Photos via drag & drop. 
Result: Much lower resolution. 

Should not be the case. 

• Staff

Hi @Thomas M. Braun,

Thanks for your report!

When drag and dropping images from Photos into Affinity Photo on my Mac, the following notification appears - 

image.png

This is occuring due to the Photos app itself and is not controlled by Affinity - as the notification suggests, you'll need to either export from Photos or use the Edit In... menu within Photos to open the full resolution image in Affinity.

I hope this clears things up!

18 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Thomas M. Braun,

Thanks for your report!

When drag and dropping images from Photos into Affinity Photo on my Mac, the following notification appears - 

image.png

This is occuring due to the Photos app itself and is not controlled by Affinity - as the notification suggests, you'll need to either export from Photos or use the Edit In... menu within Photos to open the full resolution image in Affinity.

I hope this clears things up!

Thanks for the tip, @Dan C
As I wrote, such a notification does not appear on my Mac. But I thought that's the problem, because when importing the same picture via AP, it works as expected. 
Dissatisfying anyway. 

Best, Thomas