You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White Text on coloured background

I want to fill a page with one uniform colour right into the bleed area, which is easy and I have done.

I then want to write on it in white text, which I am finding impossible, even after following answers on this forum.

I create a text frame and write the text.  I can choose the text colour and as I want white I get white on white - i.e., invisible in a rectangle the size of the text frame.

I change the background in the text frame using View Studio Text Frame and select the same background colour as the page, but it refuses to display as that colour, only as a pale grey.  (I assume I also have to set Stroke to the same colour, but if the value for stroke is zero, surely this would not be necessary...)

Is this a bug or am I missing something?  I attach a pdf and the Publisher file.  Page 6 is the one to look at.

Thank you for any assistance.

Trevor A

191229_p6_txt_bkgrnd.pdf

Practice_layout_02.afpub

Your Box text style has the gray background for the text in the Decorations section. It overrides the text frame color.

Unless I'm missing something, if you want white text on the blue background, there is no reason to fill that text frame with the same color as the background. So I would remove both the text frame color and the gray text style background.

Mike

Thank you for this.  I certainly agree with you that it would be better not to need to fill the text frame with the same colour as the background.

But could you please tell me how to get to the Decorations section?  A trawl of the menus and submenus hasn't brought it up for me.  You can see that I am a complete beginner with AfPublisher!!

Trevor

Click into the text. Look at the paragraph style used, which is Box.

Right-click on that paragraph name. Choose Edit. In the window that opens, the bottom section listed on the left is Decorations. Select it. Look at the options on the right and unselect the checkbox that turns it on.

Mike

Thank you again, but this is not working for me.  The paragraph style said [No style] and I have changed that to Box but when I right click on the paragraph name, nothing happens, nothing opens, so I can't choose Edit.  Is this perhaps covered in one of Affinity's training videos (I thought that I had seen all of them), or in a training video elsewhere?

Trevor

You aren't using text styles properly. 

I already deleted the download. Try this, just select the text frame itself. Does the Box style then show up?

Alternatively, click into that text frame. Select all the text. Now create a text paragraph style. Name it. Save it. Now modify that text style. 

Hi Trevor

I think the item I am referring to has been in since the first launch of Publisher so should be in all versions, i am on 1.7.481 you can check your version by clicking on help>about which will bring up the splash screen box and give your version number.

You should be able to bring up a drop down list by clicking on the arrow at the side of where is says box+ and be able to select no style

image.png.9db020be6b01f40014fea41bf1e3f512.png

Also if you click on Veiw>Studio and tick at the side of text styles you will get a tab in your left hand panel where you can also select No style

image.png.f4b94c21a28967fe8c90626f3de8f513.png

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Mike and Alan

Thank you.  When I select the text frame the Box style box says [No Style].  When I highlight the text I can click on the down arrow on the right of the Box Style box and select a New Style.  This brings up the dialogue box.  I have given the new style a name, have clicked on Decorations at the bottom of the list on the left and have unticked Enabled, which seems to have solved the problem.

I have version 1.7.3.481 for Windows, which I downloaded and installed on 2nd December when I bought the program.  Background colour is black, which looks very different from your light grey.  However, I am happy with that, so don't need to change it.

I have been into View>Studio and ticked at the side of text styles but I don't get a tab called "Text Styles" in the left hand panel.  I will try to attach a screen grab.  The tabs I have are:
Pages Assets Stock TOC Index.

Thank you for all the support!

Trevor

191230_Box_styles.jpg

Mike

Thank you!  Got it!  I was looking at the tabs on the left-hand panel!

Clicking on the Text Styles tab, the first item is the style that I have just created ("PART Title Page").  I will now choose it when creating a title page for another "PART" of the book, and hope that it will work for me.

Many thanks!

Trevor