You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Q: Animation software quetion

Hello guys,

I have a question, at Dribbble you often see animation artwork show up. It's becoming very populair to be honest, there isn't a day going by without a .gif animation in the most populair lists at the Dribbble website.

Something like this for example.

http://drbl.in/pmAW

With all due respect to the designer of this artwork, this isn't the most difficult artwork to create if you know your way around with vectors + an animation timeline. I believe this can easily be done with Illustrator but I often read people don't call it animations anymore but motion. I also believe people are creating this sort of artwork in Adobe After Effects as of late and my question is... Is there some sort of vector animation software out there in the same ballpark/quality as Affinity Designer and Photo. Some software that is going places and almost comes close to Adobe level software.

I can't use Adobe software, it's too expensive for me.

Everything I do is just for hobby and the great thing about Affinity software is that it is affordable for anybody - even if you only use it a few times a month.

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Software I love, and you should get :wink:
Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

Thanks,

I've tried Hype 3 before, it's bad. They had a great promising start with this app but right now it's just overcomplicated and their exports are totally not lean and mean.

Creating a simple object and letting it slide from the left side to the right includes about 140Kb JavaScript into your project.

Thats not me, I like to keep my projects lean.

Google Webdesigner (Beta) is a for better app for what Hype tries to do, but again it's made by Google which keeps me on a fair distance to be honest.

https://www.google.com/webdesigner/

Hardware
 Mac mini (late-2014), 2.6GHz, 16GB RAM, Intel Iris 5100 Graphics  iPad Air 16GB White

Affinity Desinger - Affinity Photo - Sketch - Coda - CodeKit - iA Writer - Dropbox - 1Password

+1

I would also like to see a Timeline and animated .gif export feature in Affinity Designer at some time.

Same story for a bitmap -> vector trace feature.

We will keep those developers busy.  :D

Hardware

• 8 years later...

Following up on this thread from 2015...

If you are on a mac desktop I would highly recommend Keyshape. It's a $15 vector animation desktop mac app that you can copy and paste your vector Designer work directly into. It is very underrated but so powerful and easy to use. I have used it for client work. 

If you're on an ipad, I would highly recommend ToonSquid. It's a very capable frame by frame or keyframe workflow animation app that's available for $10. Currently it doesn't allow for vector importing but it does have a couple of vector brushes you can use in the app. I export all of my elements out of Designer as pngs with a good resolution. Nice UI too, well thought out. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, retrograde said:

If you are on a mac desktop I would highly recommend Keyshape. It's a $15 vector animation desktop mac app...

When I checked Keyshape's "buy" link, it took me to the Mac App Store where the price was listed as $29.95. Perhaps still worth it but twice the price you mentioned .... 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

The free macSVG also offers to create SVG based animations. - See therefor ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

On 12/15/2023 at 6:15 AM, R C-R said:

When I checked Keyshape's "buy" link, it took me to the Mac App Store where the price was listed as $29.95. Perhaps still worth it but twice the price you mentioned .... 

Yeah I just checked. I might have been mistaken or they might have recently upped the price. It's still a great app for that price though. So easy to use for simple animations compared to other apps I've tried and you can't beat the copy and paste svg vector workflow. Plus it's really snappy and exports out in a good variety of formats... including lottie and sprite sheets.