You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

what happens when you are finished editing?

I am a newbie to the editing process... I have an image in Affinity, saved the image to desktop but the image remains in the affinity pane... if I close the Affinity programme then try to open the image on the desk top it reopens the Affinity programme... I must be doing something wrong that I know will be a simple answer but at this point can't for the life of me work it out... 

What you are describing is the expected behavior of a program of this type.  When you "save" a document, it saves it in the native Affinity Photo format, with an extension of .afphoto.  It keeps the window open so you can continue to make changes if you want.  If your question is how do you produce something other than a .afphoto image file, you have to "Export" the image.  Under Export you will see various choices such as jpeg, tiff, psd, png, etc.  

Just realized after reading another post, the above is not 100% accurate. If you open a jpg and make changes that fall within the scope of what is allowable for a jpg, the save option actually overwrites the original jpg instead of creating a .afphoto file.  But, if you add a layer to the jpg while editing, the save will be in the .afphoto format.  Not sure I like this behavior, would prefer if it were consistent.

• Staff

Hi DonatoF,

There's a couple reasons why a file may not save in the original format you opened it. In the case of your example the reason is that the jpg format doesn't support layers. So you either have to flatten the image or save it in Affinity native format to keep the layers you created intact.

Other reasons could be that you've used some Affinity specific features not supported in the original format, so again we save it as an afphoto file to keep all your data intact, or the contrary, we may not fully support the format in question and don't want to overwrite your original file because it may not open correctly in the original program afterwards.

Hi MEB,

Thanks, I do understand the reasons why you would need to save as .afphoto, I think I didn't articulate my concern regarding consistency properly.  My preferred behavior would be to either have "Save" always save as .afphoto and require me to use "Export" to save as a jpg in the above example, or if it is going to overwrite the original file to at least present a dialog asking if that is what I want.  Some applications (Gimp comes to mind) have an explicit overwrite option in the file menu.  So, I'm not concerned that the file has to be saved as an .afphoto, I'm just not sure I like not knowing if it is going to overwrite the original "sometimes", if that makes sense.  There is already a discussion of this under feature requests, I'll add my opinion to that discussion to keep it in one place.

Anyway, I hope we answered the original question in this discussion, I'm not totally sure I understood it.