You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 3 months later...

Hi,  

Regarding stitching panoramas, one of the best was written by two graduate students at the University of British Columbia:  They called it "Autostitch" because it really is  Point a block of photographs to it and it will sort them out, combine and create the panorama both horizontal and vertical. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoStitch

You can download a free demo copy for either/both OSX and MS Windows.   They do not sell the program as the University is not a business, but you could license the code to include in Affinity Photo from the university. 

http://matthewalunbrown.com/autostitch/autostitch.html#licensing

Why not take a look at it.   You can download the free demo version here:

http://matthewalunbrown.com/autostitch/autostitch.html

Sparks

• 4 weeks later...

I do like to stitch panoramas together in LR as now it is possible to use RAW images. I do not know how to do this is AP. When I have tried to open images in the dialogue box that opens all RAW files are grayed out as well as any file that in stored in AP format (developed or not). I have noticed that tiff's can be opened. So please would someone please do a tutorial or provide some support for this as well as the stacking option.

I did a little search as I know that Kolor uses the AutoStitch engine developed at UBC.  I also see that Serif has a licence for this software but its for Windows only.  

Their Q&A was very informative with respect to RAW image stitching.  It gives some insight into why LR is able to develop panos with raw data.

I have tried to stitch a pano manually in AP with RAW images and find that there is a definite difference in the shots.  I tried with the development default turned on and then turned off as shown in your latest tutorials and then develop without any other changes. It then becomes a really difficult task to makes sure that every part melds together.  

'Can I stitch RAW images?

Yes, but it's not "recommended".
Autopano is stiching software, not RAW decoding software, so Autopano will only decode the RAW files with the very default values, defeating the whole purpose of RAW shooting. It is best to treat your RAWs in dedicated software beforehand. Prefer shooting in JPG or TIFF if you do not want to treat the RAW photos.

Autopano is able to decode the RAW format. However, the different RAW formats evolve over time, depending on brands and camera models. Therefore, it is possible that Autopano can't decode some RAW files, simply because the database is not updated. 
This usually happens when a new camera model is released, containing a new coding of its RAW format and which is not included in Autopano. 
The solution for that is to decode this new RAW format in .tiff 16 bits format, which is the equivalent of what Autopano does during the decoding. 

We update our decoding database following this evolution, but it takes some time, so there is a delay between the release of a camera and the update of a new version of Autopano that support this new encoding format.'  

http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Autopano_-_FAQ?action=view&title=Autopano_-_FAQ#Can_I_stitch_RAW_images.3F