You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please include control of gradient rotation in gradient details context toolbar

Sorry, but – in this forum – please also add the possibility to be able to (re)set the notification button, if you forgot to set it to "ON" when you first submitted your post... That button is so unspectacular, I unfortunately tend to overlook it each time...

Please add a control for the gradient’s direction in the context toolbar (see attached screenshot).

I feel that the gradient's direction is as important a setting as type, colour of the stops, reverse or not and so on. Especially with small detail objects it is quite annoying always having to adjust the rotation of an object's given gradient by going directly to the object on canvas with the gradient tool. Especially when the gradient is applied to the stroke of an object as you have to take additional steps just to select that gradient (going to "Fill" in the context toolbar first, then switching to "Stroke" there and then – at last – getting the proper handles on the canvas).

AD_gradient_fill_details.png

5 hours ago, Lorox said:

I unfortunately tend to overlook it each time...

Set this implicitly for every post - Hamburger menu, Notifications (bell symbol), Notifications settings, Automatically follow content.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Set this implicitly for every post - Hamburger menu, Notifications (bell symbol), Notifications settings, Automatically follow content.

Hi Pšenda,

thanks a lot! I'd never have known this, if you hadn't lifted that secret...

So far all reactions have been to my problem with the Follow/Notification problem, which of course is solved by now (thanks to you).

I'm just wondering, however, if I'm actually the only one around here who would appreciate having that feature of direct gradient rotation control within that gradient details context box... (more or less like in Photoshop, where you can do that e.g. in the gradient's settings for a gradient fill layer or the gradient overlay fx)

I really think it would be quite ergonomic to be immediately able to dial in a rotation and not always being forced to make that second step of changing to the gradient tool just for finally setting the rotation.

7 hours ago, Lorox said:

I'm just wondering, however, if I'm actually the only one around here who would appreciate having that feature of direct gradient rotation control within that gradient details context box...

Hi @Lorox,

since you are asking. I support your suggestion, it seems to be logically to me. It didn't bother me too much so far.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

14 hours ago, dominik said:

it seems to be logically to me

well...

The challenge here is that the "rotation" of the gradient as provided in the Affinity products is a natural consequence of the position of the dots that form its endpoints (even if we are just talking about linear gradients - other gradient types may have more than two points involved...)  since these points can be inside or outside of any particular shape at arbitrary places and it is not just the angle of the line they form but also their spacing that dictates the look of the gradient, when considering rotation of the gradient, you need to consider the spacing of those two points and their vertical and horizontal offsets relative to whatever axis of rotation is being considered (yet another factor involved in this request).

So I don't think the request is really quite that simple.  Even if a control were added to rotate and the rest was left to the tool, how would the control determine the axis of rotation?  Would it be the center of the selected shape(s), the midpoint of the line...

10 minutes ago, fde101 said:

So I don't think the request is really quite that simple.  Even if a control were added to rotate and the rest was left to the tool, how would the control determine the axis of rotation?  Would it be the center of the selected shape(s), the midpoint of the line...

Fair point. As for the center of rotation one could use a widget similar to the one in the transform panel (the 9 squares) that determine the origin of transformation. As for the axis of rotation I would stick with the one each rotation in the two dimensional model has. The one vertical out of the screen :)

Other gradients than linear might need special treatment. Or one has to use the gradient tool as it is now.
I think for more complex gradients it is inevitable to adjust them manually anyway.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

21 minutes ago, fde101 said:

well...

So I don't think the request is really quite that simple.

There's something to what you say and you may be quite right, saying that it isn't exactly simple, but then why don't let the rotation come with some default of the other (more special) possible settings (meaning: having endpoints at outer boundaries for a a start and midpoint at center of the object)? In many cases this could be a basis which is already roughly(!) what you were going for (instead of just an arbitrary starting point like a plain left to right gradient). Of course you can always go for further tweaking later on.

52 minutes ago, dominik said:

a widget similar to the one in the transform panel (the 9 squares)

and interpret that relative to the shape, or to the gradient?

They might not even be centered at the same place.

53 minutes ago, dominik said:

axis of rotation I would stick with the one each rotation in the two dimensional model has

Good catch, yes I meant the origin point, thanks...

54 minutes ago, dominik said:

I think for more complex gradients it is inevitable to adjust them manually anyway

Yes, and I think that is largely why this missing set of parameters on the panels hasn't bothered me up to now - I find it much more direct and just as convenient to use the tool in any case.

41 minutes ago, Lorox said:

why don't let the rotation come with some default of the other

Yes, obviously they would need to use some default mappings if creating a gradient parametrically rather than using the tool.

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

and interpret that relative to the shape, or to the gradient?

They might not even be centered at the same place.

Perhaps the widget could represent the keypoints (colour stops) of the initial gradient in a manner like this?

rotate-gradient.thumb.png.13d04ee194d3ac5edbd8d7d66b0573ad.png

This leaves unanswered what happens after additional colour stops are added, though ;)

I think this is an interesting discussion and I realize how hard it must be to create a good user interface...

d.

2 hours ago, dominik said:

I think this is an interesting discussion and I realize how hard it must be to create a good user interface...

Yes, exactly – same with me! Especially as many of those going for the Affinity apps these days (and for a reason...) often have years of experience with the Adobe apps and their workflow.

As said before: it's certainly no good idea to mimick other established programs too closely and ending up with a copy that's just got another name, but besides coming up with convincing and intuitive new fresh concepts to do things it is not a bad idea, however, to closely study the rivals and see where they actually may have a point. Learning from your "enemies" might well increase the chance to beat them eventually...

Your idea regarding the representation of a (circular/elliptical) gradient is interesting, but I see the same problems with additional inbetween colour stops. They would have to be on each axis, I'd think, but connected or "mirrored" in a way.

1 hour ago, Lorox said:

but I see the same problems with additional inbetween colour stops. They would have to be on each axis, I'd think, but connected or "mirrored" in a way.

I think if all colour stops are mirrored in the widget it will become quickly to tiny and it would make more sense to work on the gradient itself.

d.

28 minutes ago, dominik said:

I think if all colour stops are mirrored in the widget it will become quickly to tiny and it would make more sense to work on the gradient itself.

d.

That, actually, was what I thought in the back of my mind... ;-( (despite making that suggestion)

• 1 year later...
On 1/2/2020 at 2:48 AM, Lorox said:

So far all reactions have been to my problem with the Follow/Notification problem, which of course is solved by now (thanks to you).

I'm just wondering, however, if I'm actually the only one around here who would appreciate having that feature of direct gradient rotation control within that gradient details context box... (more or less like in Photoshop, where you can do that e.g. in the gradient's settings for a gradient fill layer or the gradient overlay fx)

I really think it would be quite ergonomic to be immediately able to dial in a rotation and not always being forced to make that second step of changing to the gradient tool just for finally setting the rotation.

No you're definitely not the only person wanting/needing this. The gradient tool is really lacking in Affinity and it needs major improvements. I'm honestly shocked at how bad it is. I love Affinity on the desktop but the gradient approach they implemented is a hot mess!