You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 hours ago, tnwalkinghorse said:

So, what I am trying to do is place lines inside a box (or irregular shape).  I would like to trim everything outside the shape, AND also leave a small gap between the lines and the stroke on the inside of the box.  Is this possible in Affinity Publisher?  Thanks!

Lines in a box.JPG

One way to do this is to mask the image inside the shape. Here's a demo pic shown below.

Masked Lined Paper.jpg

Screen-Shot-2019-12-28-at-08-34-04.png

Screen-Shot-2019-12-28-at-08-32-06.png

I did this in Affinity Designer but the method is just the same in Affinity Publisher I just wanted to use Outline view mode for a visual explanation.

Publisher
Screen-Shot-2019-12-28-at-08-39-42.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The original request was for Publisher but, for extra information, this can also be done in Designer with just one “bounding box” by using more than one Stroke (each set to align to the Inside of the layer) in the Appearance Panel (Publisher doesn’t have an Appearance Panel, yet).
This makes it easier to change the corners of the box as required, see attached GIF.

Annotation 2019-12-28 091959.png

bounding-box-lined-paper.gif

23 minutes ago, GarryP said:

The original request was for Publisher

Yes, I know Garry, I used Affinity Designer so that I could use the Outline view to show the components, I refrained from using the appliance panel and it's options to avoid confusion with the lack of that feature in Affinity Publisher, well in directly at least unless the OP has more than just Affinity Publisher. Either way gets the job done eh!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

FWIW if you have both applications you can construct the shape in Designer (two strokes, grouped rules masked by the rounded rectangle), and then copy & paste the whole thing into Publisher. It's still resizable, but as far as I can see you can't change the shape of the corners.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

18 hours ago, mpowell said:

One way to do this is to mask the image inside the shape. Here's a demo pic shown below.

Masked Lined Paper.jpg

So what I am doing is creating a table (for the lines) - Converting to curves - Drawing a box on top with a no fill background.  That is the point where I am stuck.  How do I "mask the image inside the shape"?  That is the step I am stuck on.  Everything seems to disappear when I mask.  Spend hours trying to figure this out.  I know what a mask is and I use it all the time in photoshop....but not sure how this all works in Publisher.  Thanks again!