You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Wrap and IDML import

When trying to import several of my old files, I am seeing cases where the contents of text boxes is not displayed, and it seems like text wrap has something to do with it. I am not quite sure of it, but I have distilled it down to a simple demonstration file (attached) with a single text frame. This is what I see when opening this IDML in InDesign (pictured above) and Publisher 1.8.0.523 (pictured below); in both cases, I have selected the frame in question:

1979151829_ScreenShot2019-12-27at2_35_03PM.thumb.jpg.37549f402caea605b33689ad8a8e3019.jpg

Now if you change the text wrap setting for the object named "[IDML] Line" to none, then it displays as expected. I don't understand what it is being wrapped to, or why the text is broken down like that.

text-wrap-issue.idml

1 hour ago, garrettm30 said:

Now if you change the text wrap setting for the object named "[IDML] Line" to none, then it displays as expected.

The Text will no longer wrap around the Line layer. That layer is empty of text as far as I can tell. How does InDesign handle text wrapping? Are there two layers in the InDesign file too?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

40 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

The Text will no longer wrap around the Line layer. That layer is empty of text as far as I can tell. How does InDesign handle text wrapping? Are there two layers in the InDesign file too?

There is only one layer in the sample idml file that contains one text frame:

Capture_000360.png.9fae46582e62fe6611f16b9f52720751.png

I don't have/use the beta. So if APub is creating two layers, that is in error.

I see Mike has already answered about the single layer, so I will delete what I was writing (I had already prepared a similar screenshot).

I don't understand why the text frame is imported as a group with an "frame text" object named "[IDML] Line" and a "text in frame" object named "[IDML] Fill." (What I refer to here is visible in the Layers studio my first screenshot ).

In case this is a clue, these are the text wrap settings for the text frame in InDesign:

741575209_ScreenShot2019-12-27at5_27_21PM.png.b6384395616c522d744c39149dbd823f.png

It is perhaps unusual that a text frame should itself have text wrap turned on, and I think the problem lies there somewhere. When I select "no wrap" for the text frame in InDesign, and then save as IDML, then the file displays as it should when imported into Publisher, although the text frame still imports in the same odd way as described above rather than just as a text frame with text in it as I might have expected.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.