You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

abr not supported on affinity photo | ipad pro

i tried to import brushes (.abr format) using brush studio (from locations ‘my ipad’, ‘dropbox’ and ‘google drive’) and it doesn’t work, the files doesn’t open. i searched google and found nothing that could help me... then i tried using the option ‘import from cloud’ and then this show up.

658A75AA-C1CD-4028-9238-2E2E352A2BC1.thumb.png.940910dca7059a0fe97a89aadf9b8856.png

‘the file couldn’t be opened’, ‘the type of file is not compatible’.

how i fix this? i need those brushes and more. 

8 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

Hi Markus!

Welcome to the Affinity Forum!

It shouldn’t be any problem to import brushes to Affinity Photo to iPad, but, have you tried to copy them to iCloud first instead of Dropbox or Google Drive?

For me it’s easy to import brushes with no fiddling...

But, the picture above show an desktop computer (Mac) filesystem path, so, are you really talking about iPad here?

Yeah, i tried, two times.

It’s an ipad pro 2017 with ipados 13, i just bought it for Christmas. :(

30 minutes ago, Cecil said:

I reported this problem as a bug.  Imported from iCloud storage, Files, iPadOS.

IMG_1718.MOV

Can you provide a pointer to your report, please?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My first post was actually under AP iPad.  I realized it should be reported as bug, reposted in that forum and chastised for duplicate post.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

BTW, Callum stated this has happens to him, which I missed that post, on 10 Dec.  No reply, to date, if problem identified, fixed or if file was corrupt.  It happened on several ABR brushes, which I just deleted the files.  I purchased AP iPadOS and macOS.  Both have problems with iPadOS and macOS Mojave and Catalina.  To think, Apple’s App of the year, go figure. 

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

13 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

@Cecil @Markus98 are you two guys trying to import the same brushfiles every time you fail?

Perhaps it could be relative to the brushfile more than a specific bug in Affinity Photo/Designer on iPad?

Every Photoshop brushfile I have tested on my iPad Pro 12.9" will load 100% perfect (2nd gen with iPadOS 13.3)...

What happens if you test this file:

20_Mandala_Brushes.abr

it appears greyed out and doesn’t let me import it like the others :(

99493518-72CD-4AC9-82AE-EE20ECEF2B59.png

@ErrkaPetti as I stated above: It happened on several ABR files.  Not all fail to load, random error.  I loaded many ABR brushes and tried loading some from forum members post as free brushes and the brush would not load.  It could be the file. I did delete some, downloaded file again, same result.  As Callum had same result as I, I expected he would post if the file was corrupt, he did not. 

Cecil 

30 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I see now on your videos that you @Cecil and @Markus98 have two different problem...

Cecil have problem with some brushfiles (not everyone) and you Markus, you trying in your video to import brushfiles from local disk on your iPad (don’t work), and you must import them from a cloud disk, best is iCloud Drive...

The ABR brush file, reported as bug, was posted in my reply to Walt’s request to link my bug report.  As I stated, this file was located in iCloud, not my local iPad storage.  I understand that ABR files can be corrupted in download; however, I and moderator (I believe), had same issue. Please download and try to install the ABR file.

Cecil 

11 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

I see that your network goes thru VPN, and, can it be some restriction in that area (Cloud loading issues)?

i tried deactivating vpn and nothing, it still says this (i put the app in english language so you understand it better than the spanish)

7E3A7889-A19E-450C-A366-380649F03696.png

4 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But the above screenshot can’t be related to import brushes...?

Why do this screen show up? If it fail to load the brushfile you should coming back to inside the app, or it should crash, not ending showing this screen where you start an new project/open new project/pic...

i try to import brushes by two ways and both fail, i don’t know what to do, maybe i could download a older version of affinity?

6 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

@Cecil I just renamed your abr-file and then load it without problem!

Try to change the extension from ABR to abr...

I downloaded the file. Next step, iPad download files, local storage, selected file, menu opened, I selected move, i navigated to my iCloud and copied file to folder. I selected file from iCloud folder, selected file, from menu rename, and it would not allow me to change the extension, only brush file name.  If I added abr to file name it renamed it with abr.ABR. At this point, mute problem for me.  I posted problem and will allow Serif to fix or ignore.  Life is too short to worry about a brush file.  I’m more concerned with Apple Photos not working in iCloud/macOS Catalina.  A show stopper for months.

Cecil 

13 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, again, you don’t show us the real browsing of files...

Start with go back to startscreen in the file request... Now you show us that it is iCloud Drive in the upper left corner, but is this the root level of iCloud Drive...? I don’t think so...

And, there is not two ways to import brushes, only one... The first you tried...

The brushes are in iCloud i think? or at least that’s what my Files say

B45BD34C-AF84-43E9-B58C-9212299634D2.png

12 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

OK... Yeah, I forgotten to tell you that you can’t change the extension in Files, but I do it into Readddle Documents (app to iPhone/iPad)...

Not to give up, I looked at the file stored iCloud.  As you can see top shows .abr.abr.thumb.jpg.3ec63d151ef0748396531a837dc7c916.jpg

Cecil 

24 minutes ago, ErrkaPetti said:

But, the real file is called .ABR as an extension... You have to change it somewhere else...

Check my renamed file:

Real_Smoke_(675_pixels)-.abr

I downloaded the file, it loaded.  I made several new documents to test.  Each brush, regardless of size or any settings, painted in square blocks.  Screen shot attached.

88866DCA-07AA-45C0-B2DF-70DF81108E77.png

Cecil 

The only brush that works is the first brush in pack.  All other brushes create the block frames, in this case, size does not matter.  Not a great problem, I’ll just delete.

I do have one question:  When I open a brush in iPadOS, each brush pack repeats itself, at the end of brush loaded, again as Recent Brushes, each brush listed.  One would look at it and think the brush packs were repeatedly loaded, each time I select a brush.  I seldom use two or more brushes in any project. As I scroll brushes, they repeat as recent. Is this how the available brushes should display?

Cecil 

5 hours ago, ErrkaPetti said:

It seems that you’ve installed same brushpack several times... Perhaps an bug in Aff Photo that it allows us to install same brushfiles several times...

Can’t you just delete duplicate brushpacks?

I certainly did not install the AP default brushes that came installed with AP,  In fact, I only downloaded free brushes to iPadOS.  I do 99% of all projects iMac.  I use iPad version for quick adjustments.  Something is diffidently wrong, if this is dependent on user loading duplicates.

Cecil 

I realize I’m three beers short of a six pack when it comes to AP iPadOS.  The short movie demonstrates that my Recent Brushes is a continuous scroll of the same brushes, including default brushes.  I did not load these and if this is just a way to make it easy to locate a brush, no problem.  On the other hand, if recent brushes should list the last or recent brush used in a project, I have tons on duplicates.  It’s an unending scroll of the same loaded brushes. If I delete one category, it’s deleted in all Recent Brush set.  I don’t want to delete the default set. I assume I would have to delete the AP app and re-download the app to get them back.

Cecil 

This may be a coincidence but I noted that all your brushes that won’t import have the procreate logo on them. Mine as well.  So I deleted the Procreate app and the logo changed to an Affinity brush.  At this point they would install.  The smoke brush crashed and never installed.

Some of the snow brushes were block shaped.      

It seems that the procreate app takes priority.  

8 minutes ago, p_mac said:

This may be a coincidence but I noted that all your brushes that won’t import have the procreate logo on them. Mine as well.  So I deleted the Procreate app and the logo changed to an Affinity brush.  At this point they would install.  The smoke brush crashed and never installed.

Some of the snow brushes were block shaped.      

It seems that the procreate app takes priority.  

I had similar problems with smoke brush not loading and now applying in block strokes, with exception of first brush.  Now all my brushes are continuously repeating as Recents, even the default installed brushes.  Video posted above.  IPad Pro, latest OS.

Cecil