You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impossible to work professionally with Affinity Publisher

Hello, Ernie-F.

Welcome to the forum.

Publisher contains some bugs, some unlikely, even inadmissible, (see my post here) but certainly not the speed one (it is by far faster than QuarkXPress and Indesign), nor the one about the poor management of widows and orphans.

We've all been there. Like all of us, ask the community and you will be pleasantly surprised.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and thanks all for testing my document.
After last Windows update I have no more problems to set up the widows and orphans scheme correctly. Maybe a graphics card driver problem?

@: Pyanepsion
thanks for your welcome.
As for the speed of A-Publisher on my system, it is so slow that you can't work fluidly with it. QuarkExpress 2019 and also Indesign CC 2020 run 50-100 times faster.

An example: Today I tried to set a 400 page novella with A-Publisher.
Master pages, paragraph and character styles were configured quickly as usual.
Inserting the text from Word is an imposition, takes forever and is full of mistakes. OK then just plaine text.
A-Publisher needs for the insertion of plaine text and the generation of the pages about 20 seconds.
When moving a page in the Page palette, A-Publisher takes 10-15 seconds until the views are rendered again and you can continue working.
But even that is not possible because it takes another 5 seconds until you can do something in the main window again.

Different in Indesign.
The templates are similarly in A-Publisher fast and cleanly set. The text from Word is inserted quickly and well.
Pure text is inserted and pages created faster than you can blink.
QuarkExpress, TangoSolo and also the older PagePlus interact much faster than A-Publisher which moves like a snail.

So far my experiences, this is for me not a prof. publish software.

The approaches are there and good.
Speed and still missing functions will probably take some time. Until then, I cannot work and earn money professionally with A-Publisher.
As a hobbyist or for testing, it is quite nice, but nothing more.

13 minutes ago, ernie-f said:

As for the speed of A-Publisher on my system, it is so slow that you can't work fluidly with it. QuarkExpress 2019 and also Indesign CC 2020 run 50-100 times faster.

An example: Today I tried to set a 400 page novella with A-Publisher.

The most recent beta may have some improvements in this regard, as one of the changes listed is:

On 1/15/2020 at 9:23 AM, AdamW said:

Text composition performance improvements

It might be worth giving it a try.

By the way, if this novella is 400 pages long, I shudder at the thought of how long a full-size novel would be.

Page size is DIN A5. The Bodyext is Minon 10 points and only 3 levels for the chapters. All in all 404 pages an 4 pages cover.

The chronic I set last week had 884 pages with 1.204 linked fotos. No chance to do it with A-publisher.

I don't understand why the book-function like i.e. in PagePlus was not build in at the planingphase.