You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Change opacity of global text colors

• Staff

Hi Giggly :)

My apologies for the delayed response, as we have been closed over the holiday period.

Unfortunately once you've created a Swatch Global Colour you can't edit the opacity of the colour, this needs to be done when creating the Swatch itself. I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your reply.  I thought this would get lost in the flow of other more recent posts.

I hope you agree that having the ability to fine tune Swatch Global Colors after their initial creation is valuable functionality.  We can do this with pretty much all other objects.  Why not Swatch Global Colors?

• Staff

No problem at all!

2 minutes ago, Giggly said:

I hope you agree that having the ability to fine tune Swatch Global Colors after their initial creation is valuable functionality.  We can do this with pretty much all other objects.  Why not Swatch Global Colors?

Absolutely, this is already logged with our developers as an improvement and is something that we hope to add in a future update.

There is a workaround method that I've just devised, although imperfect it may help your issue here:

1. Create a regular Swatch using the colour & opacity values that you require
  2. Create a new Global Colour from the Swatches menu
  3. Change the colour selection for the Global Colour to Swatches, then select the swatch you just created with an opacity value
  4. Select Add to confirm your Global Colour

I've created a quick screen recording of this below, I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I see you created the global color swatch with a 50% opacity but you didn't show if you can adjust the global color opacity thereby changing the opacity of all objects using the global color. 

I created a second object using the global color.  Changing the global color opacity only affected the selected object.  But if you right click on the global color swatch and select Edit Fill,  you can change the global color for all objects using the global color. 

The Edit Fill screen is below.  It seems that putting an opacity slider on the edit fill screen would be a good solution.

1136492919_AffinityPublisher-Swatchglobalcolor-EditFilloptions-2020-01-02_8-25-00.jpg.cd120ff7f2608470f1a86e1a45b9ff9b.jpg

I also found some other Swatch weirdness that I would appreciate you looking at my last reply: