You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HSL UI Issue

Hey Guys!

Has anyone else had an issue with the HSL UI?

This seems to happen quite often but I can't necessarily repeat it, it just happens randomly. However when this happens, my only recourse is to restart AP. Pretty frustrating to say the least.

Specs:
MacBook Pro 15" (2019)
macOS Mojave,  V. 10.14.6
2.6 GHz Core i7
32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 RAM
Radeon Pro 560X 4GB 
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention I'm using Affinity Photo 1.7.3

AFHSL_Issue.jpg

Possibly you'll get some ideas from that topic...

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks @walt.farrell, I read the thread and didn't find much helpful info. In fact, if turning off Metal Compute is my only option I'll just not use the app. :( Turning off functionality is not a solution, it's a bandaid. This problem has been reported by others, going back to prior versions. I was hoping for an actual solution, or info on when one might be coming.

• Staff

Hi DannyBCreative,
We are still trying to reproduce this here consistently. Can you provide a few more details please? Are you using a second monitor with the laptop (dual screen config)? If so dragging the HSL panel back to the laptop screen and  then reopening it again displays it as it should? Is the Display resolution set to Default for display on your laptop or something else? If so what resolution (same info if you are using a second/external screen please). Thanks.

On 1/2/2020 at 7:58 AM, MEB said:

Hi DannyBCreative,
We are still trying to reproduce this here consistently. Can you provide a few more details please? Are you using a second monitor with the laptop (dual screen config)? If so dragging the HSL panel back to the laptop screen and  then reopening it again displays it as it should? Is the Display resolution set to Default for display on your laptop or something else? If so what resolution (same info if you are using a second/external screen please). Thanks.

Hi MEB,

Sorry for the delayed response. I wasn't aware of your reply until yesterday. To answer your questions: I am using a second monitor, but did not think to try dragging the HSL panel to the laptop screen. My displays are all set to their default resolutions and are as follows: Laptop - 15.4" 2880 x 1800, BenQ - 27" 2560 x 1440.

Since reporting this issue, I have reformatted my MacBook Pro and reinstalled everything. So far I have not seen the issue, but admittedly have avoided Affinity Photo while working on client projects. I'll resume a heavy workflow now that I have some breathing room again and see if the problem returns. If there is anything else you think I should try, please let me know, otherwise I'll report back if the problem shows up again.

Thanks!

Danny

Hi,

I have the exact same problem on my 2017 MBP on MacOS Catalina (10.15.2) with dual screen setup. My external monitor is set as primary and resolution set as default for display.

After I read this thread I tried moving the HSL window back to my laptop screen and that fixed the issue immediately, and it still worked when moving the window back to my external screen.  This is great, at least I don't have to restart Affinity photo every time, but I would appriciate if the issue is fixed in an future update.

Best regards,

Fredrik

• Staff

Hi FR4DRIK,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I'm still getting trouble reproducing this here. 
What's the native resolution of that external display? Is it a 4K or above monitor? Can you also post your system specs please (built-in and dedicated graphics card included if your Mac has one). Thanks.

Hi,

I have a normal (not 4k) 24" monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200 (see attachment/picture) set as my primary display (I don't know if it matters if the built in monitor or the external monitor is set as primary).

When the HSL windows is moved to the internal monitor the problem is fixed instantly. But if i close the window and open it again, the problem is back (until I move the window to my external monitor again). Although, this doesn't happen every time I try to use the HSL-adjustment window, but most of the time. It appears to work better some days... 

Can this problem be connected with the lag in the layers- and curves window? I'll try to explain what i mean. When I try to use the levels adjustment window there is almost always a lag before the histogram appears in the window (the same thing happens in the curves adjustment window), sometimes the lag is a couple of second and sometimes I have to close the window and open it again a couple of times. Can this lag somehow effect the HSL-window when the interface is loading to my screen?

Thanks,

Fredrik

Skärmavbild 2020-01-13 kl. 18.33.09.png

• Staff

Hi FR4DRIK,
Thank you for all the details and video, it helps considerably. I'm not sure they are related (histogram lag) and the HSL issue - there was a couple users reporting the histogram's lag issue but i don't remember they mentioning issues with the HSL panel. However i also don't know if they were using a multi-monitor setup. Will have to text/check a few things myself. Thanks for your help/support.