You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How Do I Remove a Text Stroke?

Hi. In a previous version, I could click on a >> symbol on the context tool bar then I'd see a control for the text stroke. In this version, there's nothing. I only see the color chooser for the text itself and not the stroke. I've tried the character tab too, and there's nothing there either. Any ideas?

Thanks

Affinity.thumb.png.77bbdca1d7292120e25a239fa486461d.png

App?  Histogram would suggest Affinity Photo 

the >> symbol is normally when you have more items on the context menu than can be shown with the app window at it's current size.

Keeping the text as editable text you can apply a stroke from the character style window.
Screen-Shot-2019-12-26-at-12-32-44.png

So create a new style
998961379_ScreenShot2019-12-26at12_36_35.png.4c749f2b569d0db067ee6ee93146d448.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Or you can use the Character Panel (menu “View → Studio → Character”) to change the text formatting if you don’t want to use Styles.
I know you said you’ve tried the “character tab” but the functionality is there, see red arrow on attached image and just press the highlighted button (it doesn’t look much like a button so that may be confusing).

Edit: Added GIF to show how it works (simply).

Annotation 2019-12-26 132548.png

no-stroke.gif

Edited by GarryP

I think some people mistake the text background colour right next to the text colour to be the stroke colour and never think to use the decoration dropdown to find the stroke option. Personally this really should be on the context menu not hidden in the character panel under an obscure decorations tab and not even titled as the stroke option.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Ireground said:

It seems to me though that there could be a color chooser for the stroke right next to the one for the main color. Just like there is for shapes

There is no provision on the Context Toolbar for the Text Tools to set a stroke at all in the Affinity applications for 1.7. All you can set is the text color (Fill).They seem to have reorganized the Context Toolbar for the Text Tools in 1.7, and removed the ability to set the text stroke there. It's possible they wanted consistency between the applications, and the Text Tool in Publisher has some added items they may have felt were more important to have on the Context Toolbar, so they removed the stroke setting for all 3 applications.

Anyone who knows how to set a stroke for text in any of the applications, in 1.7,  should also know how to set its color, because the color is right next to the stroke specification in the various places (depending on application) that it can be set.

In Photo it's in the Character studio panel as shown in prior posts. It's also in the Color Panel, though it's shown as a solid circle rather than a hollow circle used in Designer and Publisher:
image.png.0c8d80e26695af6769e4ba1f8586e1f4.png

In Designer and Publisher it's in those places, and also in the Appearance panel, which Photo doesn't have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think some people mistake the text background colour right next to the text colour to be the stroke colour and never think to use the decoration dropdown to find the stroke option. Personally this really should be on the context menu not hidden in the character panel under an obscure decorations tab and not even titled as the stroke option.

Absolutely. It gets used quite often.

5 hours ago, Ireground said:

It seems to me though that there could be a color chooser for the stroke right next to the one for the main color. Just like there is for shapes. For homogeneity.

If you think about it, text objects are considerably different from ordinary vector shape objects. For example, a single text object has five separate color properties: Font (effectively the same as fill), BackgroundOutline (effectively the same as stroke), Underline, & Strikeout; & each of them can optionally be set individually on a per character basis.

1678920178_colorfultextobject.jpg.d7ed330d7b47085edb33325c4b5bc3b0.jpg

The only one of these color properties that appears on the context toolbar in the 1.7.x versions is Font, what I suppose most users would consider the "main" color. I assume the reason for this is to make room for all the other text-related context toolbar items added in 1.7, which to a greater or lesser extent would also be considered in some way the 'main' or most frequently accessed properties of text objects.

Obviously, the Color (& Swatches) studio panels were not designed for selecting from more than two colors, so they picked the Font & Outline (stroke equivalent) colors for that.

They could have done something different but this seems to me to be as good as any & better than a lot of others.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

But taking into account that there's plenty of room on the context bar, they could put the stroke color selector there. After all, stroke is very often used with main color. At least I use it almost all the time, but I'm into video. Maybe it's not as useful for people who are mostly into still images. Anyway, it ain't no deal breaker by any stretch of the imagination. But what I like about Affinity over Photoshop, it's its quickness. It's all those little details that make it so much more enjoyable to use. If they keep hiding stuff under menus, they'll be kind of downgrading what I think is one of their main advantages.

19 minutes ago, Ireground said:

After all, stroke is very often used with main color.

I don't think these days it is true that strokes/outlines are often used with text objects. Even in video applications like for closed captioning, at least in the U.S.  there seems to be this ridiculous trend for burned in all white text, regardless of the lightness of the background scene color. It's really annoying. >:(

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't think these days it is true that strokes/outlines are often used with text objects. Even in video applications like for closed captioning, at least in the U.S.  there seems to be this ridiculous trend for burned in all white text, regardless of the lightness of the background scene color. It's really annoying. >:(

I agree you also get subtitles overlaid with credits about 5 mins into a TV series "The Blacklist" is one such show, not to mention all the TV logo's splattered over the screen. I generally don't watch TV but it's hilarious how daft some TV series are, the reaction from my partner to the lack of logic and the Americans insistence on walking into danger when a normal sane person would run is a scream, she goes from Prim and proper to a scene from the exorcist in seconds lol!

8 hours ago, R C-R said:

If you think about it, text objects are considerably different from ordinary vector shape objects. For example, a single text object has five separate color properties: Font (effectively the same as fill), BackgroundOutline (effectively the same as stroke), Underline, & Strikeout; & each of them can optionally be set individually on a per character basis.

1678920178_colorfultextobject.jpg.d7ed330d7b47085edb33325c4b5bc3b0.jpg

The only one of these color properties that appears on the context toolbar in the 1.7.x versions is Font, what I suppose most users would consider the "main" color. I assume the reason for this is to make room for all the other text-related context toolbar items added in 1.7, which to a greater or lesser extent would also be considered in some way the 'main' or most frequently accessed properties of text objects.

Obviously, the Color (& Swatches) studio panels were not designed for selecting from more than two colors, so they picked the Font & Outline (stroke equivalent) colors for that.

They could have done something different but this seems to me to be as good as any & better than a lot of others.

I've seen websites with text like that xD I once had to tell a "spiritual" woman to stop telling people to stare at an image on-screen for 20 mins to heal them.

28 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I agree you also get subtitles overlaid with credits about 5 mins into a TV series "The Blacklist" is one such show, not to mention all the TV logo's splattered over the screen.

I don't watch "The Blacklist" but I do watch several cable TV & Netflix series that overlay English language subtitles when an actor is speaking a different language. Almost without exception, the subtitle text is white with no contrasting outline or background color, making it all but invisible when overlaid over light colored parts of the program content.

56 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

I generally don't watch TV but it's hilarious how daft some TV series are ...

To some extent, suspension of disbelief is essential for the enjoyment of almost all fictional work, whatever the genre or country of origin, but these days too often it is just an excuse for what I call "lazy writing" -- gaping plot holes that are never resolved, characters that suddenly & without forewarning display a complete lack of common sense at critical moments, miraculous recovery from mortal wounds, events that are impossible even within the established logical context of the story, etc.

Basically, these writers are not asking the audience to suspend disbelief; they are asking them not to think at all.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

Basically, these writers are not asking the audience to suspend disbelief; they are asking them not to think at all.

This is a fire fueled, by the desire, to watch TV, regardless of content.  I simply refuse to have any streaming devices or paid services.  I do have cable for news, weather and several programs.

Edited by Cecil

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I simply refuse to have any steaming devices or paid services.

So no steam irons, tea kettles, or the like? xD

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I'm more interested in what the paid services are ;)

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

WOW!  What would we do, without you trolling for spelling errors?

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection