BigStef

Sharing a comparison result for Black management in CMYK

Hi Affinity,

Since V 1.7 I'm not really understanding the Affinity logic to handle CMYK and specially the Black color. 

I have already started a topic here where "thomaso" has helped me so much (thank to him) but i was not really satisfied...
I've been working in prepress since 1986, when there was no computer yet in that profession. Just to say that I know what CMYK is :-) I worked 12 years with Quark XP and then 18 years with Indesign.

I would really like to change all my old habits for this new Affinity tool, but it is really hard to understand the colors management logic of Affinity. Specially in CMYK mode.

Down you will find a JPG with my results on comparison 17. vs 1.8. Somethings are good, other just ... sort of regression.

The 1.7 and 1.8 PDF are done with exactly same parameters. All 1.7 and 1.8 publisher files are done in same configuration and color mode. I would appreciate all your feedback about that... if it can help me to change old bad habits :-)

ap17-vs-ap18b-comparison2.jpg

I would have much to say about this colour issue(s) but I think there are already bugs logged. I will wait over the holidays for the next beta release to do more tests to get a clearer vision. 
I‘m with you as I come from a similar background and am willing to learn new ways and break old habits. I‘m all in to start my upcoming projects in Affinity first, just to get a more realistic feeling what is missing, although thats very risky for me from a business perspective. 

• Production-System: iMac (21,5-inch, Late 2013), 16GB RAM, 2TB nvme-SSD, running on 10.14.6 Mojave;
  • Display Setup: 27" Thunderbolt Display primary + 21,5" iMac-Display secondary for palettes;
  • Keyboard-Layout: German apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

Hi Woefi, thanks for your feedback here :)

I'm starting to do all my projects with Publisher (i did not renew my Adobe yearly subscription this december). The first projet is a monthly newspaper. So i'm a bit scared, but this is how I replace Xpress with Indesign 19 years ago :-) - At this time, a lot of feature was still missing in Indesign. So it is not my first time.

I'm checking and re-cheking my test PDF and it seems good. But my production suffers...

Our digital printing customers are being suggested to try this software to replace other more expensive softwares for their workflow. 

The overprint issues and the lack of PDF passtrough are dealbreakers when it comes to suggest it for offset printing usage... Hope it gets solved soon.

Hi Savage... I totaly agree with you. Even if i have already upgrade from A.... product to Affinity. I just take very care of this on my PDF and my jobs are OK. But solve this would be really appreciated :-)

Yeah, i'm trying to solve it on an other topic in this forum. see it here

I already had overprinting issues before, and unforntunatelly i was told it's supposed to be like that... Which i obviously disagree.

As for you issues in another topic, you are rasterizing unsupported properties. If shadows and transparencies are some of those properties, then they are being rasterized and fall under the topic below.

I still hope someone at Affinity fixes this, otherwise it's useless for offset printing.