You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boulean Adding Not Working

hirthquake1

Hi, I designed a lightbulb as a part of a logo I'm designing and I tried to make the lightbulb one simple layer by hitting the "add" button in the Boolean controls but 3 times now a loading bar pops up saying "adding" but It seems to get stuck there and I can't do anything in the app except force quit and go back to a previous save point. Thanks in advance for the help!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Hirthquake1,

This isn't a bug as such - your is built mainly of single curves with a stroke applied. The add operation is primarily works for shapes that use fills that have an enclosed overlapping area.

To get the results you desire you will need to first use Expand Stroke (to convert each stroke to a closed shape with a fill) and then use Add. Note there is a slight bug with Expand Stroke on small objects that will be fixed in 1.8.

Alternatively you could use Layer > Geometry > Merge Curves with all the objects selected. This will make a single 'Curves' object containing all parts of the light bulb. The downside to this however, is that all parts will need to be the same stroke size, so you light bulb will look slightly different.

Would love to see the ability to use the boolean operators with open shapes at some point. For example a single line to trim a shape or cut it in half...

Any plans for this?