You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Contour vs fill @ export

abra100pro

I had to design a sticker on which the printer needed a contour (stroke around) for cutting. I made it in AD and the printer said: no fiil, only contour, please!
So I looked at it in Illustrator and found that the stroke around the design had been transformed into a fill by AD in the PDF. So I seem not to be able to deliver this design in AD which therefore I consider a bug. See images: AD and Illustrator.

Merry christmas to ye all!

Alex

ad.png

illustrator.png

• 2 weeks later...

Surely this should still be considered a bug? I'm not sure I follow the logic of only centre aligned strokes exporting correctly to pdf... How does a similar source file export with centre, outer and inner strokes from Illustrator?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

18 minutes ago, Hangman said:

Surely this should still be considered a bug? I'm not sure I follow the logic of only centre aligned strokes exporting correctly to pdf... How does a similar source file export with centre, outer and inner strokes from Illustrator?

A pdf has no concept of stroke alignment. The screen shot below from an AI pdf has 3 rectangles. Top used alignment to the Middle, middle rectangle to the inside, bottom rectangle to the outside.

Only the top rectangle survived as a stroke for a rectangular object. But do note the extra nodes on the bottom rectangle. Illy sucks in certain respects and this is one of those.

Capture_000376.thumb.png.d4063ae8f5d8b559a49f9abbb2677c95.png

Thank you for pointing this out. Your thoughts are really something to consider.

I think the first of your samples seems quite reasonable to me, though. I cannot see issues with that one. IMHO this would be the behaviour expected. I don't know the PDF-handling of that, therefore it could be a PDF problem. However. I surely am not the first to have designed a contour for cutting in the print process. o.O

Almost missed the answer of MikeW: Mike: thanks for the easy solution! :-)